Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday: One Week into Sugar Bust

No Run Tuesday!! I had a dentist appointment this morning, and did not get up early enough to do a trainer ride. This gave me all day to look forward to a trainer ride after work. Though really this means after Ivan went to bed, as there is no riding a trainer when Ivan is awake. He views the trainer as a new toy set up specifically for his own enjoyment.
So, I am one week into the Sugar Bust, I would say that my cravings are under-control. I was at my parents' house today, and they had an open box of Godiva truffles sitting around and I was completely unmoved. I did OD on apple cheddar muffins with our chili tonight, but I will let that go.
I had to get a cavity filled this morning (boo! hiss!). Had a great talk with my dentist, Dr. Barkley, whom I have been seeing since I was four, I think. He does really interesting mission work and today he filled my cavity, and even though the Novocaine wore off and he struck a nerve, I still think he is a superior dentist. He still likes me, and he knew me when I had big bangs.
May I now just spend a moment talking about the trainer ride? I am trying to have a positive attitude about it, as it is definitely my option for a while. I really do not enjoy it. My goal today was forty minutes in zone two on my heart rate monitor. I did it, but after the first 20 minutes I was staring at my watch the whole time. I had to start setting watch-looking goals for myself.
  • I will not look at my watch until Rachel Zoe's husband comes onto the screen.
  • I will not look at my watch until the next commercial.
  • I will not look at my watch until the commercials are over.
  • I will count to 60 ten times before I look at my watch.
  • I will stand and ride for 10 seconds and then sit down for a 60 count ten times before I look at my watch.
My goal is to make it to an hour and a half, but after tonight that seems more than a little terrifying. Maybe I need great movie to watch, or ride in 30 minute segments with ten minutes off the bike in between segments where I do some sort of circuit training like weights and such.
I am tormented.

No comments: