Monday, September 7, 2009

Franklin Classic Twice!!!

So yes, this morning worked out. I stayed up late reading Home, Marilynne Robinson's latest book. It is amazing!!! BUT, when the alarm went off, I couldn't remember why. Why, oh, why had I set my alarm for 5:30 AM? I abhor getting up before 6:00 AM, and I was pretty irritated when the alarm went off, but then I remembered why. I was running the Franklin classic TWICE.
Oh, yes, sports fans, I nerded it out this morning and ran a 5k followed by a 10k for a total of 9.3 miles. In fact, now that I am telling you about it, I am wishing that I had run the kids race that followed the 10k, just so I could have had an even 10ish miles, but that is just the fastidious end of my athletic personality that likes to keep my mileage rounded up to the nearest mile.
I will be honest and tell you that I really enjoyed myself. The weather was perfect, and I actually arrived at the race earlier than I have ever arrived at any race in my entire life. It was an entirely new phenomenon to pick up my packet and then walk around sipping Powerade and idly chatting with other runners. Normally, I am the last one there, cursing under my breath as I do donuts in the various parking lots desperately searching for somewhere to leave my car, leaping from the car and arriving at the starting line frantically putting on my number, poking myself with pins, completely out of breath by the time the starters pistols sounds. I found it very pleasant to arrive early and sip Powerade with a modicum of leisure. I even got to use the port-a-john before the race. I plan to arrive at all races early from here on out.
I ran the 5k race at around 7ish minute miles, crossed the finish line, talked to a few running group and swim friends, and moseyed up to the start line for the 10k. The course was pretty flat with some long inclines and the finish is a triumphant run down Main Street to finish on the square. The 10k felt great, as I was all warmed up from the 5k. I think I ran slightly over 7 minute miles, (but will let you know all this info when official results are posted). It was a great morning, downtown Franklin was lots of fun and Ivan got his first balloon.
We followed up my run with breakfast at the Mercantile in downtown Franklin, which has food that I would describe as slightly upscale Cracker Barrel. It was a perfect morning!!!

No comments: