Monday, September 7, 2009

Knitwittery: Oh yes, I knit!


So, I have been knitting for several years and I thoroughly enjoy it. It makes me feel productive when I watch television and often results in something completely wearable. Three sweaters in particular have been real triumphs. Anyway, I decided it was high time I knit my son a sweater, and I wanted to knit on tiny needles as I love a small knit and on a baby project, it shouldn't take my entire life. I chose a Dalegarn pattern and a Dalegarn yarn called Stork in alternating creams and baby blues. It is 100% cotton yarn, and it is quite tiny (think dental floss). I knitted it on 2 mm and 2.5 mm needles. Let me just tell you right now that the project took longer than I thought, AND the collar was quite dicey as it halted in the middle of the neck and asked that you pick up stitches on each side to give the proper opening for the baby's head, while alternating colors. Also, I did a raglan sleeve, which also turned out fairly well. So the sweater is beautiful, I even did a picot edge, which I was concerned about, but turned out to be quite simple.
So it's all great, but check out that neck opening. Something went wildly amiss and the sweater is clearly for a two-headed monster or a baby with a head like a hippopotamus. It is just a huge head hole. I mean, look at the pictures from the back. The neck is so large, it is almost a hood.
BUT LET ME TELL YOU, I worked so hard on that sweater that he will wear it anyway. He is just a baby, and he can't stop me. He will love that sweater more than he loves his dad, and he will start a big necked baby sweater trend. That is all there is to it!!!!!






No comments: