Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday Workout: HOW 100 and a Run



So today I was up by 6ish and headed out to Leipers Fork for the HOW 100, the Hope on Wheels Fundraiser for breast cancer. I had previously thought that this ride was not going to work for me due to childcare issues, but lo and behold, my husband stepped up like a champ and handled childcare this morning.
The mileage options were 29, 62, and 100 miles. I headed out for the 29 mile ride, but was able to tack a bit more on, so it was more like 40 miles. 40 miles actually might be my perfect distance. It was long enough to feel like I had gotten in a good workout, but short enough that my back wasn't numb and I wasn't resenting the bike. Usually, this is a women's only ride, but they allowed a men's ride to start approximately 30 minutes after the women's ride. I think this was great, because a well supported ride is something everyone wants in on, and it surely allowed more money to be raised for the cause.
The Natchez Trace Parkway comprised the entire route, and the weather was just beautiful. It wasn't too hot, and the sun was hidden in a haze of fog for the first 10 miles or so. I rode with a friend from swim class, and it was so fun to talk and ride. I also felt like I was able to practice many of the concepts taught in Todd Nordmeyer's bike class. I kept my back flat and tried to sit more heavily in my seat and pull in my core muscles. Hopefully, today was the first of my commitment to alternate long run and long bike weekends, instead of focusing only on the run.
The rest stops were just great. They were well stocked with sunscreen, water and cookies from Whole Foods. Honestly, I could eat my weight in the vegan almond cookies from Whole Foods, but after my SERIOUS nutritional excesses at Hood to Coast, I limited myself to only three cookies overall today.
The lunch that Whole Foods provided was delicious: herbed turkey wraps, pita chips, apples, and a sun dried tomato pasta. All in all, I give this ride a big thumbs up.
When I got home, I attempted to load Ivan into the jog stroller for a run, but he was having none of it. I was able to leave him for a nap and get in a three mile run. I set my sight on doing Yoga and Gilad, but I just did a bit of crane balancing, before taking a nap and spending some time reading Home. I will be finished tonight or tomorrow.

Pics are myself and Dee Davis before the ride, a pic of the start line, my bike, and the Jimmy Buffet water stop where they serve virgin margaritas and play Jimmy Buffet music. These guys are at many a bike ride and they are champions of hospitality. If you click on these pictures, you can enlarge them and see more detail.

No comments: