Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday: I Am Allergic to the Lake


So, this morning I dragged myself from he bed to get to the lake right on time. We are completely out of Grab the Gold bars, so my to-go breakfast options were slim. When my to-go options are slim, I typically may a poor choice. My poor choice this morning was a slice of sweet potato pie. I rationalized that since the sweet potato is in the Superfoods category, it was most likely all right. It is so not all right to eat pie for breakfast, but it is oh so pleasant.
Anyway, after that breakfast of champions, I got in the lake and swam all the way out to the farthest buoy. Now, the water is always interesting, because we start out in a cove. The water is typically like glass in the beginning, but might change as you swim. This morning, the cove water was just as smooth as swimming in a pool, but as soon as we passed the sailboat marina the water was choppy. It became a tough swim. I can swim in choppy water, but my strokes feel shorter and I quickly get blown off course. I mean every once in while, I would try to sight and realize I couldn't see any other swimmers. This was because I had been buffeted out beyond where anyone else was swimming. It gives you a start to be at what feels like the center of a lake, swimming alone. I spent a lot of time swimming diagonally and sighting every couple of strokes to make sure that I could see other swimmers and wasn't being washed out to the great lakes.
We got back to the cove and into the shore, and I loaded back in the car and headed back home to have coffee with my sister. All the way home from swim and all through coffee, I was plagued by sneezes. I have been one big nasal disaster and I have been eating antihistamines like popcorn at a movie. This also happened last Sunday after lake swim. What could be happening. I need to research fall water born allergens. We only have three more lake swims left until we stop lake swimming in October.
The swim was all I did today. I took a nice nap and cleaned out Ivan's out grown clothes. Aaaahh, the quiet sneezy Sunday.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I have stopped swimming in the lake - I have the same issue, Suzanne does too. It's just too much. I do the nasal douche right after and it helps but it wears me out.