Sunday, September 6, 2009

So, September Really Feels Like A Wash


Now I know that I just got back from Hood To Coast and I do not
mean to be a big complainer. That said:
So far this September, I am out three events, four events if you count the Jack and Back, which I found out was not an option in September, though it actually occurs in October.
  1. The Atomic Man - which is a half-iron around Knoxville (husband can't go, parents have wedding and can't provide childcare, babysitter out of town)
  2. Cedars of Lebanon Sprint Triathlon - Childcare conflict
  3. HOW 100 - Hope on Wheels metric century, same weekend as Cedars of Lebanon, childcare conflict as well.
Last summer, when Ivan was four-ish months old, I didn't really feel the frustration of not being able to get out to various events. I was breast feeding, and it was not really even feasible to race that often, especially if it was very far away. Also, having a new baby was this great experience, and it was this lovely summer of nesting and pumping and caring for this new life. My body was healing from childbirth and being competitive might not have been an option even.
This summer, however, feels like a bit of a prison sentence. Being a parent is just as lovely, but Ivan is less able to be easily toted around and when he is toted around, he has a quick coming expiration date. My body is back up to snuff, but my time is completely absorbed in childcare and my sitter options are limited. Missing the Jack and Back is really quite painful. I have done it every year since I was 20 with the exception of last year when I was breast feeding, and there was just no way to go camping and biking and tote a pump and all else.
So, this summer has been harder. I will look for events later in October, and I am beginning work on the Boston Marathon within a couple of weeks, as I am qualified. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the Franklin Classic happens tomorrow.

No comments: