Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wednesday: Double Swim, Run and Gilad


Ivan and I were up on time and got to swim on time, though it was freezing. The colder it is, the more stuff I am schlepping from car to gym, but it is also terrible to be locked down at the house with a stir-crazy 22 month old. For this reason, the cold is all the more reason to load up and schlep it to the gym. At the gym, Ivan was thrilled to play in the nursery today, so that was great. The pool was warmer today, even better. Steven is now grouping us by ability level and keeping three workouts running at once. I know that I got in 3400 meters today, but I really don't remember much of the workout. What I can remember is this:
  • 3 x 50 descend
  • 3 x 100 descend
  • 3 x 150 descend
  • The above cycle was repeated three times
  • 4 x 50 shark drill
  • 4 x 50 descend
  • 4 x 25 (start fast/ end easy)
  • 4 x 50 kick
  • 100 cool down
At home, I got some lunch for Ivan and me, before putting Ivan down to nap and doing some preliminary straightening for the baby shower on Sunday. After putting Ivan down to nap, I headed off to run and I clocked my fastest run ever in our neighborhood. Am I already reaping the benefits of my speed work? NOW, of course, on the day that I clock my fastest neighborhood run, I cleared the workout before I could transfer the data into my Garmin program. I don't know what happened, but I am pretty bummed about it. I do know that I accomplished a goal that I have been working on since I got the Garmin. My second mile on the neighborhood run is always my slowest because it involves a serious hill. Three of my miles today were 7.5 minute miles, and my second mile, which is always way slow, was an 8.5 minute mile. Huge improvement for me.
At home, I got in a Gilad workout and some dinner before heading off to swim number 2.
Workout as follows:
  • 400 warm up
  • 8 x 75 (kick/drill/swim)
  • 23 x 100 @ 1:50
It was a solid workout. We started the 23 x 100's at a 1:45 pace, but backed down to the 1:50 pace after the first several 100's. We did not get to use our fins on the drill set, so that was hard, but it seemed like my kick was improving OR everyone in my lane is just as poor of a kicker as me.
Stopped at Yogurt World on the way home, watching Bra Boys, a documentary a documentary about Australian surfers.

No comments: