Saturday, January 16, 2010

Saturday: Long Run and I Can't Stop Eating


This morning, our running group started at 6:30 AM as opposed to 6:00 AM. I really like a 6:30 start, as it is early enough to get in my mileage, but late enough that I can get up at 6ish and still arrive on time. I was early today. I had oatmeal on the way into run, with a scoop of protein powder, AND 1/4 of a Reese's whipped peanut butter candy bar on top. I am having a candy thing right now. I also had a cup of green tea and a copious amount of water.
I ended up running 21.2 miles today, though my splits were all over the place really. My first mile was 9 minutes and then I dropped to a 7:30 and just sort of ran the gamut between those times. My next to last mile was actually 9:13, but I say anything that happens after 20 miles when you aren't racing is absolutely OK. The weather was very reasonable especially after last week's misery, but I left my gloves in the bathroom at our first stop. It was too cold to be without gloves, so I had to wrap my ear warmer around one fist and pull my sleeve down over the other. This was not bad, BUT Riney, THE GREAT, had an extra pair of gloves for me to borrow. I am sure my other gloves are gone forever
NOW, something that I HATE about doing a long run like this is the aftermath of my unquenchable hunger. As much planning as I put in to getting out to run, I need to plan the same amount about my eating. I did not plan anything today beyond breakfast, and I walked into the house like a ravenous lion. I knew I was not off to a good start when I realized that I had forgotten to buy more shot blocks to fuel my my run. A zip lock baggie of Jelly Bellys that my mom had given to Ivan were my only sustenance. No doubt, I looked rather silly pulling out my zip lock bag and munching Jelly Bellys until someone in my running group charitably donated a Gu, which saved the day.
While we were running back to our cars in the home stretch, I smelled bacon and started to feel so very hungry. When we got to our cars, I mowed through the rest of my Jelly Beans. Then at home, I made myself some eggs and Turkey sausage (Good Right?). While I waited for these to cook, I ate the rest of the Jelly Beans. Then, I ate half a box of the Christmas cookies that my husband's grandmother brought us for Christmas. They were shortbread spice cookies, and I have to stop writing about them because the mere thought is making me want the other half. I do not want one or two cookies, I want them all.
After my eggs and turkey sausage, I was still very hungry, so I warmed up a piece of left over sweet potato pizza and ate a cheddar apple muffin while I was waiting for it to warm. I ate the piece of pizza, and this satisfied me until after my nap.
For lunch, I made a turkey wrap with cabbage slaw and avocados. It was very good, but not filling enough. I then ate two oranges and popped some popcorn. For dinner I had a salad and a small portion of chicken enchiladas, but I would really like to eat more. I would really like to go to Yogurt World. It is 9:12 PM and I have eaten through everything in our house that I can get my hands on and I still want to go to Yogurt World. If not for the massive jelly bean and cookie consumption, I would not feel so terrible about today's eating.
I burned upwards of 1300 calories today, and I am sure that I replaced that with cookies and jelly beans. From now on, after my long run, I am going to plan my meals and pick up breakfast directly after my run so that I can avoid this calorie laden starvation trap. NOTE TO SELF!!!!!

No comments: