Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Oh Friends, Are You Neglecting Documentaries?


Now, I will admit to being pretty nerdy. A crossword puzzle and a biography of an American President are a perfect evening for me, it stands to reason that I would have a thing for documentaries. I am going to put a list of Betsy Sloan's documentary must sees on the blog. I would strongly encourage adding them to your Netflix cue. If you do not Netflix, you need to get started!!!

  1. Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst - Oh, this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. I have seen it three times. The soundtrack is stellar. The LAPD rocks the house. "Death to the fascist insect that preys on the mind of the people"
  2. Murderball - about the American wheelchair rugby team, and their competition at the para-Olympics. I shed tears and laughed out loud.
  3. Grey Gardens - About Jackie O.'s most likely schizophrenic, but at least delusional, cousins who lived in their home in the Hamptons with no money, until their home was condemned. Insanity. HBO also made a movie of the same name with Drew Barrymore, and it was interesting as well.
  4. Rising Son: The Legend of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi - Great film about this skateboarder who had too much too soon and lost his opportunities, before getting his life on track. It was inspirational.
  5. Dogtown and Z. Boys - Also about skateboarding. Narrated by Sean Penn. GREAT. Follows 6 or 7 kids who could skate incredibly well in the 70's. It takes you to the beginning and end of where their lives were headed. So interesting.
  6. King of Kong - Until you have see a grown man cry over Donkey Kong, you just haven't seen a documentary.
  7. Crazy Love - no matter what relationship you are in or not in, this movie will make you feel better about it. NO MATTER WHAT. That is all I am saying. Rent it!!!!
  8. Lagerfeld Confidential - about the man behind the Chanel brand. OH THIS WAS GREAT. I was amazed at his weight loss, his music, his shopping, his designs. ALL OF IT. Also, Karl Lagerfeld is surprisingly warm and fun. I thought he would be queenish and nasty.
  9. Valentino: The Last Emperor- Oh, friends. I am rather frightened of Valentino. He is neither warm or fun. My favorite part in the film is when Valentino's long time boyfriend tries to address the issue of Valentino being too tan. Valentino has a fit, but Giancarlo is right. Valentino looks like a crayon. Valentino also says that ankles in an evening dress are disgusting, so just remember.
  10. Paper Heart - oddly poignant and heartfelt idea about the existence of love. Rather awkward, but sweet at times.
OK, I think this is it. I might add more, but this is my top ten.

1 comment:

Jill Ann said...

Love the movie list!! I've seen one of them (Murderball) and have one on my current Netflix list (Crazy Love). Keep the movie lists coming!!!