Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday: Halfway Back in the Saddle and My Aquaspheres Broke




After yesterday, getting out of bed was a a real accomplishment. I did sleep late, as I had stayed up late to watch Saturday Night Live, which was on at an even later hour since the the football game ran over.
It was a reasonably hilarious SNL, and I continued my knitting as I watched. The left sleeve to my cabled bolero is almost finished, which means I am in the home stretch of the sweater. Very exciting, as I have been working on this for quite some time.
I headed out to church for the 11:00 AM service (solo, as we deemed it too cold for Ivan), and as per usual, I did not check the website for St. Paul's before I left the house. Since I never check the website before I leave, baptism Sundays ALWAYS hit me like a ton of bricks. I can never remember that it is baptism Sunday. So I pulled onto Main Street, and IT WAS MOBBED. I had to parallel park (a feat at which I am a complete failure) two streets away and hoof it to church while some impatient alter boy was clanging away at the bell pull. Then, I had sit in the back on a folding chair, which was better than last baptism Sunday when I had to sit in in a whole other room on a folding chair and watch the service on a satellite TV.
Anyway, baptisms are lovely, and I was pleased for every family there. I just wish I could remember when they are going to happen so that I could prepare.
At home, I got myself together to hit the gym around the corner where all sorts of frustrations ensued. First, I had to wait in line for a treadmill, so long in fact that I gave up waiting. I headed to the pool and I was walking in to the the indoor pool, goggles in hand, my goggles cracked in half and the lenses popped out. Now, these were my favorite Aquasphere goggles. I should say mask.
I prefer a mask when I swim and I think they are best. Here is why:
  1. Very comfortable, no pressure around the eyes
  2. It is like wearing HD on your head. I would compare goggles to a small black and white television. You just have a lot more visibility.
  3. Since the mask does not squash into your ocular cavity, you are spared the raccoon rings around your eyes, that sometimes do not leave until late in the day and make your eye makeup all funky.
So, when my mask snapped in half, I was very frustrated. Luckily, I had an old pair of crappity goggles, so I was able to swim with those. They were not pleasant, and I am replacing my Aquaspheres ASAP. I will be purchasing the Seal Swim Mask pictured above. I have been using a tinted goggle, and I am very excited to use the non-tinted for pool work.
In the pool, I was able to get in a mile swim before my sister arrived at my house I bit early, so I cut my swim short. Workout as follows:
  • 800 warm-up
  • 200 pull
  • 200 kick
  • 200 IM with fins
  • 100 IM with fins
  • 100 kick
I showered off and headed home to visit with my sister and nephew who was making his Nashville debut. After visiting at my house, we packed up her son and Ivan and headed out to spend the night with my parents, where I fully intended to spend an hour on their elliptical machine, but instead started watching Return to Cranford. Cranford is my all-time favorite miniseries, and I was so excited about the sequel that I tossed Ivan into bed and parked myself on the couch with my knitting. I can never pass up a period drama starring Dame Judi Dench. She is a marvel of British acting talent.

No comments: