Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday: Early Treadmill, Yoga and a Trainer Ride


So this morning, my deepest goals were accomplished. I was out of the house by 6:15 AM and on a treadmill by 6:20 AM. On the treadmill, I ran three miles in 22 minutes with my heart rate in zone 4 and sometimes zone 5 throughout the run.
I am not including my Garmin splits as the Garmin does not really pick up treadmill miles. I just used it to watch my heart rate. My Garmin map, when I swim or run inside in a lap pool or on a treadmill, just spikes all over the place. It will show me as having swum down the interstate or running in a jerky pattern as the crow flies to major destinations like downtown Nashville. It always cracks me up.
I was home and out of the shower by 7:15ish AM and made a great breakfast and ate at my leisure before heading to Bible study. I even emptied the dishwasher. Yes, I did!!!
After arriving back at home, I got in a pretty peaceful yoga session with some great stretching.
NOW, my husband finally got my cadence sensor working last night. There are many times that I have ridden my trainer at home. Todd (bike class teacher) strongly encourages getting on the trainer two or three times a week. This makes a lot of sense, as I swim about five times a week and run about five times a week, and bike about never. Biking happens when I go to Todd's class. When I bike at home, it is mainly just so that I will be able to tell Todd honestly that I have been on my bike in between classes. If I am on the bike, it's fine right?

Until now, I have not had access to a cadence sensor outside of Todd's class. I figured that at home, I was riding around 85 rpms throughout my ride. Ooooh friends, I totally figured wrong. I will just bet that I was riding around 30 rpms at home, just tooling along in front of the television. So, during Todd's classes, I have been riding at at least 100 rpms throughout and then riding about 30 rpms at home. It appears that I was inadvertently training myself to go ride slow and then struggling through Todd's classes.

Tonight I rode with the cadence sensor, and it was hardcore. I had to ask my husband for water and a sweat rag; my pleas for a fan were ignored. I was determined to keep my cadence at 100 rpms for 30 minutes. SUCCESS, but I am worn out. Now, I did get my Garmin stuck on laps and would like to keep it on one long ride, so I will have to work with that. "Working with that", however, seems to be the way of the Garmin. Looking at my heart rate, I made need to do the VO2Max thing to really be sure about my zones. One way or the other, however, my bike skills are on the UP!!



No comments: