Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday: Run, Bike and Yoga


So, something that I realize is that when you are dedicated to getting your workouts in, you have to be OK with going to work or the grocery store looking like a greasy rat on occasion or often if your name is Betsy Sloan. If you do not get comfortable with this, you have to get comfortable with taking three to five showers a day. I used to be a three-to-five-shower-a-dayer, but now I am comfortable being a greasy rat. I shoot for one shower a day. For instance, today it was too cold to have Ivan in the jog stroller, so even though I got up early, it did not work for me to go and run. So, I packed Ivan up and went on my grocery store run in a tobaggan and jeans and Uggs. At home, we cleaned and made lunch and when Ivan went down for his nap, I started on my workout.
OF COURSE, Ivan had tampered with my watch, so it was off the charger and completely without juice, which meant I could not take it on my run today. Once you have run with a Garmin, it feels pretty lost and sad to run without knowing exactly how fast you are clocking each mile. I almost felt like there was no point in going on my run. I ran three miles, and it was fine.
Back at home, Ivan was up from his nap and screaming the house down, so he played and had some reading time before doing my yoga routine with me. Then he and I read books and watched The Wiggles until his dad got home from Lowe's at which point I hopped on the trainer and rode for 30 minutes. I stayed right at 95 to 100 rpm's except for the two breaks where I stood up and rode, just to break the monotony. I might try to push my riding to 45 minutes this weekend.
All in all it took me 4.5 hours to get in a 1.5 hour workout. I finally got in the shower at 5:15 PM, because my husband wanted to have dinner at Swanky's. NOW, as a general rule, I STRONGLY encourage anyone with a child who is old enough to walk to stay home for dinner. We had a dreadful dinner on Sunday that proved my point, but Swanky's is a handy place to eat. First of all, it is very loud and it has these huge booths the better for trapping Ivan so he can't run about. The loudness means that he can't be heard when he screams and shouts.

AND, this is the best part, they have bathroom stalls that go all the way to the floor. SO, if Ivan comes with me to the bathroom, he can't army crawl under the bathroom door. AND, the door handle is too high for him to reach, so he can't let himself out. It is heaven. If you have ever tried to sit on a toilette while holding a toddler's legs as he tries to crawl under a bathroom stall, you are a lucky one. It isn't fun, and it always makes me realize that there is not one sacred aspect of my life. NOT ONE.

Another unfortunate bathroom occurrence, is when you have a single room bathroom (as is often the case at small restaurants) and the door handle is low. This means that you have to hold your toddler by the legs while you try to use the bathroom, AND if your child gets away from you they can pull the door open and as opposed to being exposed to women in the women's restroom, you may be exposed to a whole restaurant. It is terrible.

So between the kid friendly atmosphere and the ability to use the bathroom in peace, I am a HUGE fan of eating at Swanky's. Also, the food is crazy delicious.

Tomorrow, I must sign up for Todd's next class. I MUST.


No comments: