Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday: I Really Can't Take Ivan to Lunch and My Sugar-Bust is Over




So, today I overslept and sprinted out the door to Bible study dragging the baby along. I woke up knowing that my sugar bust was over, and knowing that I had ferreted away a delicious brownie in the freezer. Does that make me crazy? - that I woke up salivating for a brownie FOR BREAKFAST. Actually, my sugar bust reward day was not a real sugar blowout. I just had a brownie with breakfast and few sips of Dr. Pepper for lunch. That was it: no Sonic Blast, no eating my weight in Godiva chocolates, no ordering out a special dessert.
My friend, Robin, and her parents came to visit with me and we then went to lunch at Jason's Deli. Have you been to Jason's Deli lately? The last time I went was bad-date circa 1999, Harlingen, Texas. I had for lunch what I would describe as a turkey sandwich of questionable freshness. The meat seemed slightly sweaty and the bread was decidedly stale.
The Jason's Deli of today is a very different place. I ordered a "nutty salad", which involved walnuts, pumpkin seeds, fresh greens, feta cheese and roast turkey. It was so good I didn't even use the dressing, and that is saying something. I also plowed through the organic hot dog I ordered for Ivan. It was a delicious lunch AND they have a salad bar. Oh friends, there is nothing that I enjoy more than a salad bar. I can pile my plate crazy high and have complete control over the portions of all the pieces of the salad puzzle. I love it!!!! Also, their sandwiches looked so amazing. I found it to be reasonably priced as well.
A downside is that their high chairs are on wheels and they have no belt to lock Ivan into the high chair. He was out of the high chair every few seconds. I counted that he did 6 laps around the restaurant while we were eating and 10 mini laps around the divider between the entry doors and the first row of booths. He dumped both a salt and a pepper shaker upside down and mysteriously stuck a lollipop to my shoulder. How did he do it? Where did he get it?
It was alike having lunch with a cross between a Tasmanian devil and a tsunami. What do you do? I popped his leg once and he looked at me unblinkingly as if to say, "Really, weak one, that's all you've got? I have only begun to empty my arsenal of degradation and violence". He is at the age when you have to address the issue immediately; taking him to the bathroom and waling on him is not in his developmental scheme. We are past the days where it is appropriate to wale on anyone in public, so I really just had to suffer, apologize to other diners, peel the lollipop off my shoulder, and look haggard. Ivan looked cute, acted horribly, and just to ice the cake, he pooped his pants with something that smelled strongly like a combination of rotten fish, sulphur, garbage and port-a-john. It was hard times.
We took a walk at home and then I did a Gilad workout, some yoga and climbed on the trainer for a 35 minute ride with my heart rate in zone two and three. Watching Rachel Zoe in Paris. Oh Please, watch the Chanel show.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Beware of any buffet or salad bar - I love them too but people just stand there and eat over it, put their boogery hands in it, disgusting.

caroline G said...

I agree with Missy. Remember the Fall creek falls trip when you and Elliott were dating??? I will mention no names.