Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday: Great Swim = Sandwich Cookie


So today, I woke up early to run before Ivan woke up, however it was of course monsooning outside. For this reason, I stayed in the kitchen with my tea and read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It is so gripping that I barely had time to feel guilty about not slogging it out in the miserable rain outside. I was able to have everything ready and get gas in the rainy traffic and still get to swim on time. For this accomplishment, I would like a blue ribbon or a silver cup or something equivalent to what they give jockeys for winning derbies and steeplechases. Punctuality has become something that requires heretofore unparalleled preparation coupled with rigorous training.
Swim workout was nice and I was able to get in some IM. Workout as follows:
  • 200 swim/ 200 kick/ 200 drill/ 200 swim
  • 4 x 200 swim @ 3:30 (odd free/ even IM)
  • 8 x 100 swim @ 1:50 (kick/ swim in IM order)
  • 1 x 600 pull
It was a great workout. The pool is still pretty warm and there were lots of fun swimmers in attendance today. Inexplicably the lights in the pool complex went out for about 25 minutes mid-swim just as I was kicking off the wall. I had a strange out-of-body experience momentarily that I was blacking out. I had visions of the life guards having to fish me out of the pool with the long life saving implements.
Great swim. Ivan had a nice nap at home while I did phone errands and such. When he woke up we shared lunch and went to the mall to return two impulse purchases that looked more than ridiculous on me.
I may have discovered the formula for a perfect mall trip. I immediately strapped Ivan into his stroller while in the parking lot. As soon as we got in the mall, I got him a balloon and a children's lemonade at Chick-Fil-A. I never heard another word out of him. I was able to make my return and swing a few laps around looking at shoes and clothes. The balloon (which was free - pilfered from an Ugg display in the shoe department) and the drink ($0.82) bought me 45 minutes of peace and quiet in a shopping situation. I had a sandwich cookie just to comemorate my accomplishment. I must remember this for future excursions.
Ivan then took nap number two and I am getting ready for a fun evening having dinner with friends at the Crow's Nest!! Fun times!! Birmingham tomorrow!!

No comments: