Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sunday: Tentatively Like a Lover


I woke up this morning with a searingly painful eye infection. It felt like my head was going to explode. For this reason, I loaded up my car and came home from Birmingham early. Having a limp or a fever is a tolerable affliction, but as soon as my looks are marred, I am pretty much in a tailspin of wounded vanity. I made it home from Birmingham and moped around the house straightening up the mess that crops up whenever I have an extended absence from the house. I watched the last Project Runway and finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, started my new book, and worked on my Bible Study for this week.
Now on the way home from Birmingham, I devoted myself to finishing up Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. I bought it for myself to listen to on my iphone for my birthday. Confession: I am not loving it. I remember my exciting introduction to Dan Brown. I was in graduate school and had not read anything fun is a while, as I was only able to read articles and books relating to my thesis. I went out of town for the weekend and decided to take a weekend off school reading. I took a copy of the Davinci Code as EVERYONE was reading it. EVERYONE. Sunday school classes were being taught about it, and I SWEAR, I could not turn on the History Channel without some sort of Knights of Templar Special or Behind the Davinci Code special. I felt like if I was going to maintain my status as a member of the human race, I had no choice but to take a weekend to read the Davinci Code. So, I read it, and it was absolutely riveting. I mean, let's all admit that the Davinci Code was a cultural phenomenon the likes of which have rarely been seen in adult literature. I downloaded Angels and Demons, the initial installment of the adventures of Robert Langdon.
So, Angels and Demons is so much the replica of The Davinci Code I am becoming more and more bored with knowing exactly what is going to happen. Robert and a lovely, yet brilliant and spunky scientist run about Europe desperately trying to find the killer or killers of her paternal figure who has died a gruesome and naked death with odd clues that only a professor of Symbology could speak to. Its the same book!! I have been frustrated with this for a few weeks, but today, Dan Brown really ruined it for me. He ruined it when he trapped Robert Langdon in a marble sarcophagus with a skeleton. Anyway, the sarcophagus gets turned over somehow, and the skeleton dangles over Robert Langon "tentatively like a lover". Really, Dan Brown? That's where you're taking it? A skeleton dangling "tentatively like a lover". I laughed out loud. I am going to continue listening to it, but, be warned, Dan Brown: I am finished with your symbology shenanigans.

No comments: