Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday: Hop the Visiting Swimmer



Today, I made it to swim on time, for which I cannot quit patting myself on the back. I was there early today in fact, because I took Ivan in his Halloween costume. He was so irritated at me for shoving his into the dragon fat suit and asking him to wear a ridiculous dragon-head hood on top of his head. He was super adorable and I was able to get him into the nursery and me to the pool ON TIME.
Today, we had a visiting swimmer from Arizona, or maybe New Mexico, it was somewhere that is dry and hot. Anyway, he was determined to get us through the workout. We stayed on interval the whole time and I got in a 3700 meter workout with time to spare. See, our morning swim group is mostly older women that swim 2500ish meters. Jaime is always there and she is a fast swimmer, sometimes John Maple comes and Nick is there on Wednesdays. We each have our own lane, and we often talk about books and such. We sometimes miss the start of the interval and let the clock roll around again. So being on interval the whole workout happens pretty rarely.
Hop however was having none of this. He pushed the whole time and worked really hard. While Hop was rather more hard driving than I am used to in morning swim, I was just thrilled to get in as much swim as I did. This gives me mixed emotions about Hop's return. I like to get in a good hard swim, but I also like to talk about books and such. Hop will be there on Monday as well, and I will be interested to see if I can get in early and get in 4000 before the end of practice.
Today's workout as follows:
  • 400 swim/200 pull
  • 4 x 200 @ 4:00
  • 4 x 200 @ 4:00 (50 swim/ 100 fast/ 50 recover)
  • 4 x 200 @ 4:00 (100 fast/ 100 recover)
  • 2 x 300 pull @ 3:30
  • 200 cool down
After practice, Ivan took a nap that was way too short. When Ivan woke up, it was as if he had had a hit of speed or a triple espresso or most likely, two dum dums. Can two dum dums really make a toddler that wired? He was rushing about the house in circles like a madman. It was necessary to find an outlet for his energy, so I took him to practice his swim skills at the pool. This went reasonably well, until Ivan began hurling himself into the pool and fighting, AS IF FOR HIS LIFE, to get to the steps and sprint out of the pool so that he could run, AS IF FOR HIS LIFE, to get away from me. I felt like I grabbed his little pipe cleaner arms about 50 times to stop him from hurling himself into the pool or hurling himself down the steps. I finally gave up and strong armed him out the door. I took him to McDonald's and let him play in the germ pit.
I always feel that the McDonald's play yards are germ pits. I felt that H1N1 was lurking on every surface. It was one of those days however, and I risked certain disease infestation to let my child get his energy out. Ivan, of course, hit his head and will certainly have a black eye tomorrow from running into every piece of play yard in the germ pit. There were a few other kids there, and one mom said to everyone in the room, that she could be "truly happy here if they served wine". Except that it goes against every code of good sense in existence, it could be kind of a good idea. You just sit there, watch your child and occasionally say something like "stop that" or "play nicely". I bought Ivan a Happy Meal, which I promptly ate myself. It seems to be my way around food. I am trying to think that my Superfoods lunch and breakfast cancels out my McDonald's mistake.
Pics of Ivan in the Halloween costume we didn't choose.

No comments: