Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday: Swim and Gilad



Now today, I had a great morning. I was up before seven, had breakfast and tea before Ivan ever stirred. It was quite nice. I even made Ivan's breakfast (grilled cheese) and filled all his milk bottles. We were at the gym for swim right on time, which honestly seems to happen less often that the appearance of Halley's Comet.
I was able to get poolside in time to ask Steven all my swim/ weightlifting questions. Steven feels that the free weights I am doing at home are not making any difference at all outside of some basic toning. He says that my swimming cannot help but bulk my upper frame to some extent. Also, he told me that my "bulk" was really not bulky and then proceeded to tell me countless horror stories of over bulked women swimmers who looked like male Russian weight lifters. This assuaged my concerns, so I will continue with my Gilad weightlifting, though I am still set on owning the Pure Barre DVD. Swim workout went as follows:
  • 2 x 100 @ 1:45
  • 3 x 200 @ 3:15
  • 8 x 50 kick
  • 3 x 150 @ 2:30
  • 8 x 50 drill
  • 3 x 100 IM @ 2:00 (without fins - I swear I thought my heart was going to explode)
  • 8 x 50 swim
  • 4 x 75 kick/ drill/ swim
  • 4 x 100 kick
  • 100 kick cool down
As usual, it was a great workout. Steven is coaching our Sunday swim as well, so I will be interested in seeing the workout!!
In other news, my Spinervals DVDs arrived today, though I felt like it was too much to swim and do a Spinerval DVD, before getting up at 5:30 AM to do a pretty hardcore speed workout. Hopefully, I will get to do a bike workout tomorrow night after Ivan goes to bed.
I was thrilled to get to go into work, where in a fun coincidence, Ben Caldwell (who is just a great local artisan who does wonderful work with copper and silver) was visiting. I had a chance to hear all about his education and accomplishments; such fun. At home, I am crawling into bed early. My alarm is going to ring while it is still dark.

Pics are Ivan and a piece of Ben Caldwell's copper serving collection.

No comments: