Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday: Yoga and Speed Work Session


So this morning, I was up at my New Year's resolution time with a steaming crock pot of steel cut oats. Breakfast was great, and I was able to get myself together in time to take a shower before I went to Bible study. Bible study was great, and I got home in time to feed Ivan lunch and the last petit four. This was a real triumph. I really had not thought that I could feed my temptation food to my child and therefore have it out of the house. I will have to use this new strategy with caution, but today, it brought a lot a joy to all parties concerned.
After I put Ivan down for a nap, I got in a Yoga session and then headed into work. After work, I headed to my speed session. Speed sessions for this morning were cancelled, due to the ice so I went in for a night practice.
Now, I have some gripes about night speed session. First of all, it was at Centennial Park and not on a real track. There was a mile route set out around the park, and I will be honest with you, a mile route is a lot of direction to remember. (I am a girl that once, when leading in a cross country race had to stop and ask the second place runner which way to go. It's just me and am so grateful for all GPS technology.) Anyway, at every fork in the road, I hesitated; should I go left or should I go right? Then, there was some traffic, so I put on my super-visible reflector vest. Finally, there were lots of puddles and ice patches.
None of these things are a huge deal, it is just that I felt a little off my game, especially with the hesitating. Tonight I was supposed to run at my tempo pace (7:00ish minute miles). Workout as follows:
  • one mile warm up
  • 5 drills
  • 4 x 1 mile repeats at tempo pace (7:03)
  • one mile cool down
I had a lot of trouble staying at tempo pace. I ran three 6:30 miles and one 6:50 mile. During my cool down, I discussed this with another guy, and we decided that we might have royally fouled up our two-mile time trial that set the times for the rest of the workouts. I did not feel like I was running all out tonight, but I felt like I was running fast. Also, I, as per usual, did not have my Garmin set for laps and then an overall time. I was just turning it off and on for time. I guess I will have four different mile times in the Garmin activities (oooh, but on the mile that I am linking, I ran a 6:25. Thrilling!!!!) I will reset the run settings for a track workout and be ON IT for my next speed session.

At home I am feeling pretty good, but seriously hungry. I am already looking forward to tomorrow's smoothie!!!!

No comments: