Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday: Swim and Gilad and I Are Reunited



So this morning I was up and at 'em at an appropriate time, and I got to the pool for my first morning swim of the week. Steven was not in attendance as he was coaching at a swim meet, so Dee, one of our evening coaches was at the side of the pool. Now, Dee had just been to Sara McLarty's Swim Camp, so when I saw her on the side of the pool, I was sort of filled with dread.

I find that when my coaches have been to camp or on vacations, they have learned things, AND they want to teach me these things and make me a better swimmer. When Steven first started coaching us, I was also filled with dread.

I really enjoy getting a nice dull 3600 or so meter workout. I don't want all this drilling and sculling and kicking without fins. Anyway, today we did about 1000 meters of drills. Not just our same old kick on your side drills, but there was sculling involved. Sculling means you don't go anywhere, you just wave your arms in mini-circles and kicks your legs off. When the sculling drill was announced, I was forced to lead a fins mutiny, so that I would be able to make it to the end of the pool before the rec center closed for the night.
The workout was as follows:
  • 150 warmup
  • 12 x 50 various kick drills
  • 4 x 40 sculling drills
  • 50 easy
  • 3 x 100 pull with paddles @ 1:40
  • 3 x 100 pull without paddles @ 1:50
  • 3 x 100 swim @ 1:50
  • 4 x 100 swim
  • 300 kick cooldown
So, I feel like I might be leaving something out, because I am feeling pretty sure that the total yardage count was 2700 meters. A lot of drills in a workout mean that you do not get in much yardage, which is a bummer, because I often gauge the success of my day, by the amount of yardage I get in in the pool. I will let it go, however.

After the pool, I took to Ivan Kid to Kid, a local consignment shop. I was on a shoe mission, and I was finally able to find Ivan some tennis shoes, some more crocs, and some splurge loafers by Jack and Lilly that had a jolly roger on the front. We are set for spring. We do need some classic sandals, but other than that, I was able to buy a whole season's worth of shoes for $50 dollars, oooh and I bought ahead some fall tennis shoes. It was pretty exciting.

At home, I hopped in the car to buy some power food for tomorrow's 15 mile run. At home, Ivan and I took about a mile walk with the leash, which is fast becoming my best friend. The leash allows us both to walk at leisure without the hand holding fight. It was nice.

When Ivan and I got back to the house, I got in a great Gilad workout. I have missed Gilad. He is so corny, but so positive, with so many interesting twists in the workout.

Meeting the running group at 6:30 AM. In my dream world, the running group meets at 10:00 AM, and my husband never minds keeping the baby!!!

I have two goals tomorrow:
  1. Finish American Lion; Andrew Jackson and I have got to part ways.
  2. DO YOGA
Pic is of Ivan's shoes and my lovely Christmas amaryllis collection

No comments: