Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday: Run and Yoga, but More Importantly: Hot Mess


So this morning was only the second speed session that has actually occurred in the morning because of the snow situation which is apparently about to come down the pike again. Anyway, may I just begin to tell you about this workout by letting your know about my track fashion situation: I was a hot mess.
Now, at the track workouts there are lots of cutie girls in coordinated track outfits at 6:00 in the morning. For instance, this morning this adorable girl wore black capri leggings with fuschia piping trim and a fuschia fitted pull-over, with pink mittens and ear warmers. Some of the girls have track pants that they warm up in, then when it is time to run fast, they snap off their track pants like strippers and stalk up to the starting line in capris or shorts. CUTE.
I had in my head that I would also rock the track in something cute this morning. SO, I laid out my black Nike short shorts with a fitted long sleeve technical tee. Though I have no snap-up track pants, I do have a ratty pair of Lululemon loose fitting yoga pants which I thought might have the same effect. So, I left my house wearing my short shorts under my loose fitting Lululemon yoga pants, a long sleeve tee and a vest and a jacket. I did notice as I left the house that the shorts under the yoga pants gave me the appearance of a the worst panty line in the entire world, as if I had never heard the words Hanky Panky. This did not worry me, however, because I knew that I would be pulling off my pants and looking svelte in my short shorts by the time it was daylight.

Here is what really happened. I ran my warm up in my ratty yoga pants and when the time came to start the speed work, I could not get my yoga pants over my shoes and so I was forced to hop around on one foot in front of the starting line making the other runners despise me. When I finally gave up, I was stuck at the starting line with my ratty yoga pants and a panty line wedgie like I have never had before. It was bleak. Also, my eyes were puffy because it was so early, and my pony tail looked as if I had fixed it in a wind tunnel. All in all, not a good look for me. My vanity is pretty wounded, and this is a dangerous place for me. This is the place where I go to Lululemon and hock my savings into cute work out apparel and try to meet you for lunch while wearing capri tights, a pushup bra and a workout top. It is bad.

I mean some days I can nail it. I can wear the cutest outfit at the party and some days, it is "Saints Preserve Us, Betsy must have watched a Miley Cyrus video, two episodes of Sex in the City and dipped into the bourbon before she put that getup together".

Anyway, the speed workout was brutal as 400s are always painful. Workout as follows:
  • 1 mile warm up
  • 8 x 400 meter repeats at 1:32 which is my fast pace
  • jog 400 meters between each fast 400
  • 1 mile cool down
I only made the interval on the first few 400's. I set my watch wrong and it was really just not my best speed workout, much like Saturday was not my best long run. I did get to do some much needed yoga, which is really a must after a speed session. It just has to be done.

I think I am skipping early morning swim, to go hiking with Ivan in the back pack or baby bjorn. There is a Bambino Brigade in Nashville that does this every week, so I am going to try it out. I will be going to evening swim tomorrow night!!

1 comment:

scott said...

This is really funny. You're funny.