Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday: Surprise T-30


So, today Ivan and I hustled ourselves out to church, where Ivan was a champion of good behavior. We arrived home at 12:30 and by the time I got Ivan down to nap, running wasn't really an option if I was going to get to swim on time. I have to say though, that regardless of the missed long run on Saturday, I am pretty thrilled with my long bike yesterday. I feel like I really moved up a level in the discipline of my training.
Anyway, I left for swim, and when I arrived, it was surprise T-30 day. This means that with no preparation, I had to swim as fast as I could for 30 minutes. I forgot my watch and had to borrow a swim cap, so I was not completely on my game. Four people swam in our lane: Myself, Nick Nicholson, Diane Boggs and Richard Baker (Triswami). Now Nick and I are typically commiserate in our swim; I might even say that Nick is my swim nemesis. We are always neck-in-neck, and sometimes I have beaten him. A few weeks ago however, he beat me by a full 50 yards in the mile swim. It really hurt me.
Today, I did start out in first place with a 10 second lead, and I maintained in to the end, but I think that means that Nick and I swam the exact same time today. SO, this was good. I was even able to pick up the interval and get faster towards the end and middle. We both swam 1700 meters in 30 minutes, and that was reasonable.

NINA, the German Au Pair, who comes to swim, swam 2100 meters in 30 minutes. She lapped everyone in her lane three or four times. It was impressive.
I finished Andrew Jackson last night. It was great. Jackson was the greatest outsider of any president in my opinion, and quite solitary, with no family of his own. Will write book report later in the week.

No comments: