Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Steel Cut Oats


OK, this post is so not all that exciting, but it has pretty much changed my life. Cooking steel cut oats really wears me out. You have to stand around for about an hour stirring the oats like a witch at a caldron. If you do not stir constantly, your oats will stick to the bottom and burn just enough to make the whole pot taste funky.

Now recently, a brilliant person whose name I cannot remember, but wish I could so that I could give them credit, told me this brilliant strategy:
  1. Get out your crock pot
  2. pour in four cups of water or more
  3. pour in one cup of steel cut oats
  4. put the top on the crock pot
  5. set the crock pot on low
  6. go to sleep
  7. wake up in the morning to absolutely perfect steel cut oats
Can you believe it????? So easy and it works like a charm every time. I do it about once a week these days. I then add a scoop of protein powder and a splash or two of soy milk for a great hot breakfast that slow cooked all night. Ooooh, I remember who told me, it was Allan Horner. Which reminds me that one day I am going to post his recipe for whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes. They will knock your socks off!!!

No comments: