Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday: A Day Off of Sorts


So today, I skipped swim and slept in a bit, before waking up and making a smoothie and tea and showering in preparation for my big drive to Birmingham. I kissed Ivan goodbye and hopped into the car where it started snowing about halfway down. It snowed and snowed and snowed in ways that made me think there was a slight chance I was going to have to check into a motel in Ardmore and PRAY that they had HBO and a Wendy's in walking distance.
Fortunately, I arrived in Birmingham safe and sound with only one bathroom stop at a very clean and neat Hardee's. In Birmingham, the snow was pretty intense for that far south, and the natives were concerned to say the least. For this reason, all of the fun boutiques were closed early due to weather, and we were even denied cupcakes at Dreamcakes. As I have replaced all sweets splurges with Yogurt World, it is rare that I have a real bleached flour/refined sugar treat, and I felt the loss of my cupcake deeply. We had to console ourselves with a trip to Forever XXI, where I found a denim jacket that I have been desperately needing.
It is a rare treat, when you can run out to Forever XXI and pay $20 for something that you will wear consistently all summer. Granted, to achieve that item, you must haul yourself across town to a mall you would rather not frequent and fight 14-year-old girls for merchandise while Abercrombie rivaling music thumps at such a volume that you fear your heart might palpitate out of rhythm. My sister talked me out of a tailored tux jacket, called the Ringmaster Jacket that could have ABSOLUTELY MADE the right outfit. She forced me to admit that the jacket would languish away in my closet being pulled out only to prance around the house as I dreamed up imaginary venues where I might wear it, and then whipping it off my body before my husband saw me acting so ridiculous.

After this we headed home and practiced Pure Barre for our morning class so that I would not look like a novice in front of the seasoned veterans. Then, my sister, friend Jeanna and I headed to Maki Fresh for takeout sushi and watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics while having fun talks!! A great day!!!!

Pure Barre and brunch tomorrow!!!

No comments: