Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Vanity Watch: Product Update









Product Update: Over the summer I had a conference with my dermatologist about how I could have supermodel skin and I was very interested in the Obagi skin care regimen. This is a super abrasive product alignment that peels your skin down to the new skin. My dermatologist is against it as he says that are using glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and straight retin- A, which are all products that you could buy on your own for less than 400 dollars a month. This was music to my cheapskate ears, and I promptly asked him for a retin-A prescription. I finished with the 0.5 level Retin-A/Tretinoin and have now upped myself to a 1.0, or double strength prescription. Also, I have invested in Clinique's Even Better Sunscreen moisturizer and their Even Better Skin Tone Corrector. I also use a Clinique Benzoyl Peroxide Product, and I use a Therapy Systems Glycolic that I have used for years. I know this sounds like a lot of product, but I am liking the results after a week. (Also, I am using a great moisturizer at night.) I am a little peely and red, but overall my skin tone is more even and my skin less oily. I will be reporting back to you about how I like these products long term. I may have to change my sunscreen situation in the summer for something with zero grease factor.
The number one reason that I have made the Retin-A/ Tretinoin commitment is that my grandma used it, and she had this remarkably translucent skin. Just amazing. I feel we have similar skin types, and I could benefit similarly. One of my top ten goals is to age as she did. Like I said, I'll keep you posted.

On The Hair Front, I have a couple of new elements in my system that have made my hair situation fabulous. It is growing longer and has been healthier and held color longer.
  1. I always completely saturate my hair with water in the shower before I put on my swim cap. This fills my hair strands with less abrasive water than the chlorine/bromine situation in the pool.
  2. I have started using the Aveda Sun Care Hair Cleanser after swim.
  3. For my after swim conditioner, I am using the Arbonne Seasource Detox Spa Fortifying Hair Mask.
  4. At home I am using a Frederic Fekkai Glossing shampoo and conditioner
  5. I usually use some sort of styling mousse before I blow dry.
It seems that following this hair regimen has eliminated my hair damage breakage, and I have not had to use my hardcore avocado hair mask at night while I sleep in a swim cap. I have to say, I really hated having to sleep in a swim cap and a hair mask, because it made me feel like a dowdy Telly Savalas. I don't like to look that heinous even when I sleep.

AND, most important: If I had to vote on the best of all the 5 steps above, I vote on number one. DO NOT get in a swimming pool without soaking your hair with shower water. It is the best protector of all. Even if you are late to swim and you are rushing in at the last minutes, 5 more minutes in the shower will ensure lovely hair. Lovely hair is worth the time, friends.

Finally, I am really loving all the Frederic Fekkai products. The Phyto line used to be my favorite, but Frederic Fekkai is stepping up and taking their place.

No comments: