Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday: Will My Garmin Be the Death of Me

So, today, I was up early enough to get in a run before swim.   Though I keep thinking that it is going to cool off, it is miserably hot.  Just so hot.  Hot Hot Hot.  I was pretty proud that I got the run in before the swim, however.

Swim today, was interesting.  We were coachless, but we did have a dry erase board with a workout.  I was on the pool deck right on time, and I got in 3500 meters.  For the past two nursery experiences, Ivan has been pleasantly wheeled into the nursery in his stroller and happily left alone with Ms. Pat who brushes his hair into a fluffy blond halo.  It is nice, and I hope that this continues, as it allows me a guilt free exit to get to the pool on time.

Nick was there today, so he and I swam together. Workout as follows:

  • 500 warmup
  • 6 x 150 (Kick/Drill/Swim by 50's)
  • 4 x 50 kick
  • 8 x 50 drill/swim
  • 9 x 100 descend
  • 50 kick
  • 600 pull
Such a great workout.  We swam really hard, and I actually could have stayed in the pool a little longer.  The showers still aren't working, so I did not have to use part of my two hour nursery time to shower.  I could have stayed in the pool 30 minutes longer.  I may do this next week, just to see how it feels, as I am preparing for my 5k swim. (September 11th, Big Shoulders)

After swim, I attempted to take Ivan blueberry picking, so drove to the edge of the world, only to find that the blueberry farm was closed for the season.  THEN, drove to Whole Foods so that I could buy meat and let Ivan have a cookie.  Ivan dashed away from me to see the wind chimes, then scooted behind the wind chimes and got his arm caught in the automatic door.  Of course.  I had to drag him from the door and strong arm him all the way to the car, because he apparently loves to have his arm caught in the door at Whole Foods.  He was so angry to be dragged away.

At home, I ran a few errands after putting Ivan down to nap.  Then, hopped on the trainer to make a full triathlon out of my day.  HOWEVER, the Garmin is not picking up my cadence, so it was just a really frustrating trainer ride, and I foresee myself spending copious amounts of time dithering with the Garmin helpline tomorrow so that I can somehow restart the cadence function.  While I love the Garmin, it is like the dissertation that never ends.  There is always work to be done and functions to be researched.  What I really need is a Garmin that reads my mind.  

1 comment:

Jill Ann said...

Have you tried changing the battery in your cadence (GSC10) unit? Mine was dead...after calling Garmin and messing with the configuration for hours...I found out the battery in the cadence unit was dead!! Ugh..Garmin...you make my life so hard!!