Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday: Wise Words from Mark Miller at Track Workout, Gilad and Yoga

Ivan in My Bike Glasses
I felt most unenthusiastic when my alarm went off at 5:15 this morning and I hit snooze twice and still made it to the track on time with my oatmeal and a homemade Lara Bar.  (The way it is going for me, by the way, I am slightly afeared that I will turn into a Lara Bar. I have already broken my mini-cuisinart from overuse in making homemade Lara bars, and it is all getting out of hand.)  Anyway, track workout as follows:

  • 5 lap warm-up
  • 800 striders (200 fast/ slow/ 200 fast/ 200 slow)
  • 8 x 400 at 1:32
  • mile cool down
This was 5 and a half miles, and I am kind of having a thing with track practice in that my pink eye saga (which I am trying to quit talking about and ruminating on as if I had been a prisoner of war or a hostage) kept me from participating in the second track time trial.  Since I did not do the time trial, I do not really have the right times that I should be running and I am still using times from the first time trial.  Also, because I was not at the time trial, I did not get a piece of paper with all my workouts and times for the second half of the track workouts, so I never really know what we are doing until the night before when the email comes out on Monday.  It all just makes me feel a little off kilter.  

 I feel like I am just showing up and hoping that Tracy is there so that I can attach myself to her like a carbuncle.  She keeps the pace on her watch, and I keep the overall mileage on mine.  Honestly, when I got there today, I didn't see Tracy at first, and I contemplated slinking back to my car and driving away.  

The workout was not that bad, but I was quite pleased to be finished.  Also, I had a great talk with Mark Miller, who is full of knowledge about his craft.  My question this morning was about how to approach my track workouts if I am also biking and swimming regularly.  Mark always gives us two options for every workout.  For instance, today it was 8 x 400 or 10 x 400.  Mark said that in light of my swim schedule, I should always do the lower intensity workout so as not to approach the overtraining line, which would be devastating to all my disciplines.  This was great news, and I was thrilled to head home.

At home, I went to work before taking Ivan to swim, where in a delightful turn of events he vomited on me in front of everyone.  He wasn't sick, he just swallowed too much water.  Honestly, Ivan was talking to me about something, he projectile vomited all over me and then just kept talking to me like nothing had happened.  He never broke form or acted like he thought it was gross.  He really didn't even pause.  Of course, I was standing there with vomit all over my bathing suit, and I really didn't even care either.  I just let my mind drift to Sunday, when I can take a shower by myself at the public lake shower and make it all go away.  

Back at home, I did a Gilad workout and some yoga before settling in on the couch with a mountain of paperwork and the new season of Rachel Zoe.  It was bananas.  



No comments: