Thursday, August 19, 2010

Friday: Run and Pure Barre, but really this is a hair update

I know that based on my blog it may often appear that my interests are working out, gorging myself on self-serve yogurt and my own personal vanity, with an emphasis on hair.  These are definitely amongst my interests, but there are other ones as well.  For instance,

  • Sometimes I cook.  
  • I enjoy both needlework and knitting.  
  • I am teaching my son his ABC's with their corresponding phonetic sounds, and I am pleased to say that it is going relatively well, and I am planning on introducing Tolstoy in a timely fashion.
  • I have a collection of plants, including three potted herbs and I enjoy tending them
  • I brew my own tea and drink three different kinds each day
  • I have been reading The New Yorker each week since I was a Freshman in college
  • I think Bob Dylan is the greatest
Anyway, now that I have defended myself on the subject of my interests, I would like to fall back on hair and tell you about my recent breakthrough in my relationship with my hair.  

The last time that I went to get a haircut and hi-lite, Hanna, who cuts my hair, and I were forced to come to terms with the fact that there are some things that are not and will never be sacrosanct.  For instance, you cannot have hi-lites and swim every day and wash your hair everyday. These are three things that do not go together and never will. 

It seemed that with each hi-lited hair cut, I was having to have my hair cut shorter and shorter.  The hi-lites got bleached lighter and lighter in the pool and then became frizzier and frizzier.  My hair was never smooth, never healthy, never shiny.  Heartbreaking.  I do not mean to compare my grief over my hair to the grief experience of someone in a truly tragic situation, but it has been one of my greatest aesthetic blows. 

SO, three things have happened since my great hair hi-lite revelation:  
  1. I have stopped hi-liting my hair and gone back to my natural color
  2. I am only washing my hair on the four days a week that I swim
  3. I am using Pureology shampoo
My swim friend Jamie, told me about Pureology.  She, in fact, emailed me while I was at the lake in all caps to encourage me to run out and get this shampoo.  I do have to say, that it is the best I have used and I really feel that it might because it is a low sulfate shampoo.  Supposedly a low sulphate shampoo lacks the stripping salts that are in regular shampoos and have a drastic effect on your color.  It really leaves my hair completely smooth, yet it doesn't feel weighty.  There is a bit of protein in the conditioner, which I usually try to avoid, but this shampoo and conditioner has been great on my hair.  

Also, I love the website and there is a whole test that you can take to determine which Pureology is right for you.  I am thrilled with my whole hair situation, and I hate not washing my hair every day, but it is better for my scalp and follicles and quite European!!

No comments: