Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday: Was Supposed to Be My Day Off

So, I meant to take the day off today, BUT my friend Sara, whom I really only see when I run, asked me to  run this morning, and I just couldn't pass up the time to catch up. Plus, we got to run my favorite running route from Lipscomb University down to Belmont University.  It is rare that I have the opportunity to visit with Sara and run on my old stomping grounds.  For this reason, I sabotaged my day off, got up early, made oatmeal and tea and headed into town.  It was a great run, but it is so bloody hot.

I have lived in Tennessee for the vast majority of my life and the only time I lived elsewhere, I lived somewhere hotter.  You would think that I would be used to this.  Not So.  Every year, it is a shock to my system.  I forget how hot it was the summer before, and how impossible it was to do anything but sweat my way to hideousness and stench.  How do we survive?

Anyway, once at home, I hopped in the shower and got ready to hit Peek-A-Boo Playtown.  Peek-A-Boo playtown is a play place that has every sort of plaything that you can imagine for kids.  Cars, tubs of balls, train tables, dress up clothes, and every such thing.  Ivan was amazed and could barely focus his attention.  He would climb into a car only to be amazed by a train, so he would hop out, though only half-way into the car.  He would pick up a train, only to see another car and sprint away to get to the car.  IT WAS A FABULOUS PLACE, because I sat down on a couch with my friend Mary and just made sure that Ivan didn't leave the building.  I got to have great conversation, and Ivan was as happy as I have seen him since he learned to open the refrigerator door.  It was a blissful two hours.  In fact, I saw a few mothers with coffee and a magazine obliviously absorbed, and I could see that happening to me.  I could walk down that road.  That road looks nice.  I could re-commence reading my New Yorkers cover -to-cover.  Would that be terrible?  To pay $7 a week to sit on a couch and read my New Yorker cover-to-cover?  Is that the level of frivolity that could lead our country to financial ruin?

After I drug Ivan kicking and screaming home, I put him down for a nap and got on the phone with Garmin in an effort to fix my heart rate monitor issue.  I must say that after spending 25 minutes on hold, I was a bit frustrated to find that the best advice the tech had to give was to find a friend that had a Garmin and see if my heart rate monitor would sync with their device.  How would that help me??  Anyway, after much elementary advice, I decided to take the battery out again and reseat it and it suddenly worked.  THRILLING.  It was clearly just a battery contact issue.

Swim tomorrow!!!!

No comments: