Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday: Death of My Alarm Clock

I am relatively certain that I received my alarm clock when my sister and I stopped sharing a bedroom when I was 11ish.  Now that I am 34, it occurs to me that the alarm clock is the longest lived electronic device in my life.  Now, I have had a 23 year relationship with this alarm clock, but it only took a two year relationship with my son to murder the it.  Ivan has put chapstick in the battery hole, spilled water on it and knocked it to the floor countless times.  Last week, I saw him leaning off my bed and leaning his hand on the speaker with his full weight.  Since then, my alarm clock has not worked once.  It is still telling time, but the alarm has totally petered out.

For this reason, I have been almost late to several workouts and have had to run screaming out of the house.  I cut my alarm some slack yesterday, but really, should we ever cut our alarm clocks slack? I am considering my alarm clock retired.

So, this morning, I ran quite late to the lake based on the alarm clock situation.  I was 20 minutes late, and I basically leapt from the car throwing on my goggles and hurling myself into the water.  I caught up with everyone and really had a great swim overall.  No matter how it starts out, my lake swims are always calming and pleasant.  The water was super warm, really too warm.  

Now, this morning, I put on my Garmin with the idea that I could try the software that compensates for the swim.  As far as I can tell, it didn't work.  At best, I swam two miles, but the watch says that I swam 3.66 miles.  This is a bummer, as I was pretty excited about my big download.

Swim tomorrow morning!!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have written about Ivan's swim in the lake. It was something to behold.

Marshall

Anonymous said...

Hello, you site is very funny he told me to cheer up .. Merry Christmas.