Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday: Lake Swim and I Was Kind of a Disaster and I Love Lake Shower

I have many interesting things to say about my day to day.  I am coming off a rather disheveled week this week, and I was working with the after effects of a minor sunburn on my back. Regardless, it was thrilling to kick off my week with lake swim.

I was up and at 'em by 5:20 AM, and I got right out to the lake.  I made a poor bathing suit choice, however and the top was too big and it was all gappy and I just felt like the whole thing was falling off.  It then happened that I made matters 1000 times worse by making the last minute decision to wear a rash guard shirt with 50 SPF to make CERTAIN that know UVA or UVB rays touched my back.

 This seemed like a good plan, until I was about half a mile into a two mile swim and the shirt starting chaffing.  It chaffed around the neck and by the time I got back to shore, my neck looked like I was a hangman's victim.  My bathing suit had been dragging the whole way as well and I just felt like a big waterlogged tank out in the water. My slowness was irritating, and I just looked like a great big dork in my long sleeve sunscreen shirt and my huge aquasphere mask and my draggy bathing suit.

It felt a bit like showing up dressed for a costume party, and being the only one in costume.  I wanted to pull off my rash guard shirt and let it sink to the bottom of the lake.

Anyway, this leads me to a sad and telling fact that I had to come to terms with today: I love to take a shower in the public shower at the lake after lake swim.  "Why is this?", you ask.  Are there towels, the guarantee of privacy, clean showering conditions, air conditioning, a nice fresh smell?  1000 times "NO" to all of these questions.

Here is what the lake shower does have:  a steady stream of hot water and one of those shower heads that you can hold in your hands.

Here is what the shower does not have: Ivan.

I can stay in the shower at the lake for as long as I want.  The water never gets cold and no one gets in the shower with me and demands to stand directly under the shower stream of water while splashing me and peeing on the shower floor and laughing hysterically.  I can do a thorough job of shaving both legs, and I can exfoliate.  Today, I even gave myself a deep condition.  Yes, I might catch both athlete's foot, the HIV and some crazy disease that has not even been discovered yet.  There is no way to lock the shower door, and I guess I could get murdered, BUT these seem like small sacrifices for a shower alone.

Are you crying for me right now?  Tears of shame and pity coursing down your cheeks as you think of me just dreaming of a public shower at the lake as if it were the spa at the Ritz Carlton.  This is my life, friends.

Anyway, at home I got ready for church after covering my neck chaffing with Neosporin, which somehow got in my hair, which is quite a bit darker now, and I felt like my hair looked all Brilliantined up like Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind.

In the afternoon, I went to see the second installment of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series, The Girl Who Played With Fire.  

Swim tomorrow!!!

No comments: