Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday: Note to Self, be early.





Today was the aftermath of daylight savings time and way too much sugar. Way too much. Ivan woke up at his usual time, but then fell back asleep for another hour and a half. When we both got up, I loaded him up into the jog stroller for a three mile run before church. When we got home I managed to get he and I out the door to church only five minutes late. I managed to pick the worst day of the year to be five minutes late to church. Today was All Saints' Day. Now, if you are unfamiliar with the traditions of the Episcopalian church, then you would never know that you need to be early on this day. Very early. It is the day that multiple Christenings take place. MULTIPLE. This means that multiple families have asked their extended families to come and watch what is a great spiritual tradition.
I learned this this morning as I was frantically circling around downtown Franklin as if I were Luke Duke. I finally found a parking place THREE BLOCKS AWAY FROM CHURCH. You would have thought it was Manhattan. Anyway, I walked three blocks to church like a pack mule in heels loaded down with a diaper bag, Ivan's dog, and my handbag. For reasons unknown, I neglected to take his stroller, because I thought Ivan would enjoy the walk. He did enjoy the walk, at a snails pace. Finally at church, I deposited Ivan in the nursery and headed for the sanctuary, WHERE THERE WERE NO SEATS LEFT. NO SEATS. I had to walk back to the other end of the church with the other shamefully lates and watch the service on a satellite television in Otey Hall. When it came time to sing, the woman seated beside me could not hear the congregation singing on the satellite television and she asked if I would sing loudly, so she could hear me. While I sang my loud solo in my off key alto, she stared pointedly at me. A beautiful hymn written in London during war time, I can only imagine the author was revolving in his grave.
We finally made it home, Ivan had a nap and I managed to get myself to swim and start swimming early (2600 meters) so that I could get out in time to meet my in-laws at Little House on the Prairie. I have to say that what I learned tonight was that Melissa Gilbert can neither sing or dance with any great aplomb and this was all too obvious when she was paired with serious talent. BUT, I felt the musical as a whole played great homage to the books and there were several kids and adults dressed in period costume. So, overall a great experience.
Tomorrow, is my last day with Hop, the visiting swimmer and I am planning to put my anti-Superfood weekend behind me!!

No comments: