Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursday: Run and Book Club


Today was book club Thursday. I was the host. I was the host last month, too, but no one came. Last month I road the trainer while I watched my Thursday night line-up. Now, tonight, I also thought that no one was coming, and as of last night, I was planning on riding my trainer and watching my Thursday night line-up. As it turned out, book club organizer, Melissa, forgot to send me the emails of the RSVP's, so at 9:30 last night, I found out I was indeed hosting book club.
So, this morning I hurtled out of bed and ran three miles with the jog stroller before tossing Ivan into the car to get to his swim practice. Swim practice for Ivan lately consists of him sprinting about the pool, writhing from my grasp and hurling himself into the pool. Often he throws in some intense coughing, that may or may not develop into full on choking. If it does develop into full on choking, he typically ends the choking by vomiting on me in the pool in front of the other parents. How do you feel about about that?
I find that that is the most disturbing part of parenthood for me: body functions. I might be talking to someone really cool, maybe someone I find attractive and Ivan might nonchalantly poop himself in a leaky, stenchy way. How uncool can you get? Last month at swim, I was talking to a really interesting man, he was complimenting my child, and Ivan responded to this positive reinforcement by vomiting on me. No shame, no apology, just vomit.
It is just so awful to be vomited on in front of other people, and just the retelling of the pool vomit incident reminds me of the countless other times that I have pooped on, vomited on, and urinated on in the brief time I've known my son. I was a popular girl at one time. I got a superlative in high school, and now I get vomited on in public.
It is a painful commentary on just how uncool I have become.
Anyway, I got home from work and threw some snacks together, and we gathered to talk about our book. We actually never really talked about the book, which was a great read: The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Society . We spoke about it briefly, but mostly chatted about other things and we committed to reading The Help. Also a good book.
Anyway, swim tomorrow and my weekend is going to be out of control, but we are baby-free on Saturday night!!!!