Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday: The Worst Monday of All


Oh friends, today was a bust. I should have just stayed in bed. Do you have these days? I got to the pool in plenty of time, but made the peripheral but damning mistake of forgetting Ivan's diaper bag. Can you believe it? So important, yet so trivial. I confessed this fact to the women in the nursery and the nursery workers struck a bargain with me: You can swim until he has a dirty diaper.
In my head, I thought I would get to swim until at least 9:30. This, however, was not the case. I dove into the pool at 8:39 AM, swam to the end of the lane and then back again and then one more trip to the end of the lane. When I got to the end of the lane, at 8:45 AM, Miss Glenda was waiting on me. Ivan had a dirty diaper. As I climbed out of the pool, I had several ideas in my head. Surely, there was a mother from whom I could track down and borrow a diaper. Of course, today, there were only two decidedly potty-trained 5 year olds in the nursery outside of my son, Ivan of the Dirty Diaper.
SO, I had to slink down to the nursery in my bathing suit, dripping wet and collect Ivan. Then get on some clothes and take him home. At home, I saw the despot diaper bag smirking at me from the dining room table as I took Ivan back to the changing table.
At home, since I did not get to take my usual Monday shower deliciously alone in the gym locker room, I had to take my shower at home. I tried to get Ivan to play with some toys and such on the floor of the bathroom, while I took my shower. No sooner had I lathered my hair and rinsed it off, than I opened my eyes to see that Ivan had crawled into the shower, fully clothed. He was completely soaked and his little boots were running over with water. His little diaper was so saturated with water, that he could barely remain standing and it ballooned out in an orb about his groin. Absorbancy technology is truly amazing.
Anyway, this setback made us late to meet my parents at Cosco. Once there, Ivan ate a sample Thanksgiving dinner and somberly allowed himself to be confined in his car seat when we left. He fell asleep in the car on the way home, and slept in the car for about an hour. He woke up completely hysterical and was only calmed with a bottle of milk, walking, petting, and watching the Lollipop Guild from The Wizard of Oz. He just loves those munchkins.
After this, I was able to get in a four mile jog stroller run and a Gilad workout, before putting Ivan to bed and sitting down to watch PBS. Sea Biscuit and Elbert Hubbard were featured this evening. Woody Guthrie coming on Wednesday night. Surely, I can get in a better workout tomorrow.

1 comment:

caroline G said...

What a sweet picture of Ivan!!! He looks so happy.