Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday: Am Hypochondriac




I have felt relatively ill all day. Not extremely sick, just a little achy, a little nauseous, and my head hurt. I became more than convinced that I had some latent form of H1N1 that was going to render me ill like a small-pox victim of the 1400s.
My fear of small-pox is well documented. I once made the mistake of listening to the audio book The Demon in the Freezer by Richard Preston on the way to Birmingham to visit my sister. By the time I arrived in Birmingham, I was so terrified at the idea of an air-borne epidemic that I could barely inch myself from the car. I thought seriously of forming a saran wrap bubble around myself and communicating with the outside world only while swathed in latex and a protective layer of hand-sanitizer. Also pondered was the idea of going through life with a scuba pack so as to avoid breathing the easily contaminated air of the masses. Another step that should clearly be taken, I thought, was that a massive vaccination/immunization project should be started by our government. I developed a catchy logo, "be a fox, outsmart the pox" (seriously, I thought that up on my own), and pretty much lived in a paralyzing catatonic state of smallpox/anthrax fear. I'm just a bit that way. It took me months to get over.
Anyway, I took Ivan to get the second part of his flu shot today, though I must admit, it was really just a front to get the Doctor Bastian to see if I was going to die of H1N1 today or slowly and painfully tomorrow. Doctor Bastian, ever patient with my ridiculousness, told me that as I was not running a fever or showing ANY major flu signs, he was not even going to test me for H1N1. He said I probably had some sort of vague viral illness and that if I still felt bad later in the week or got worse, to call him. As per usual, I appreciated his waiting until he left me alone in the examination room to roll his eyes all the way back into his head, as I imagine he must have.
I texted one of my students to let him know that I might run late, as I was getting tested for H1N1. He promptly emailed me back to say that "you are such a hypochondriac. Why don't you get tested for testicular cancer while you are there?". So clearly, I have issues.
That's about all that went on today. I just finished my Bible study assignment, and I am now getting ready to continue work on my cabled bolero.

No comments: