Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday: Swim

Now of course leave it to the very last lake swim of the season to finally not destroy my nasal passages.  This morning, I popped up before 6:00 made my oatmeal and hopped into the car to head out to the lake where I again chose not to wear a wetsuit for many reasons.  My wetsuit is just terrible, it is a huge effort to put it on, the water wasn't that cold last week and it has been so warm this week that I assumed that the water would be even warmer than last week.

While it has been warmer this week than last, the evenings are still quite cool, so if I had really thought about it, I would have realized that the water would probably be as cold or colder.  However, I am notorious for underestimating or more like ignoring the conditions.  The water was very cold, to me.  I had no thermometer, but I just felt chilled and I never warmed up.

Once I got my toes in, I realized that I would definitely have to hit the water fast and swim like mad to warm up, which is what I did.  Though I never got warm and I eventually could not feel my feet or move my toes, my hands and body and head were generally fine.

I will say that regardless of the cold that took my breath away when I hit the water, the lake was beautiful today.  It was flat like glass with just a bit of fog and the sun rose as we were swimming, so it was quite glorious.  Now, this was the first time that my Garmin seemed to gauge the swim reasonably.  I started it a little late, maybe half a mile in, and it seemed weird to me that the watch kept buzzing about having on satellite.

It was a great swim overall, and once I hopped in the hot lake shower, I felt a lot better.  I hit starbucks on the way home and made it to church before hanging out with my family and taking a KILLA nap!!

No comments: