Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunday: Swim and Vic's Vapo Rub

So I have to say that the whole sicky tired feeling of being pregnant is wearing me out.  At seven weeks, I am ready for all this to stop.  My favorite food to eat when my stomach is funny is a Grab the Gold Bar, and I think I have eaten three today.  I really need to keep track as it is clearly going to be something that I am going to have to budget for for however many weeks my first trimester lasts.  Also, when the doctor/scientists have me in the lab asking exactly how I turned into a Grab the Gold bar, I need to be able to tell them exactly how many I ate.  I have lost my What to Expect When You Are Expecting book, so I can't really remember how long this lasts.  It seems like sickness lasts for 16 weeks or some such, but I am not completely sure.

The weird sicky feeling feels like (no judgment please) an all day hangover.  You are hungry, but nothing sounds good and you have a thick feeling in the back of your throat like you might vomit and your head hurts.  I also find myself to be extremely irritable and intolerant, but maybe I am always irritable and intolerant, and I use pregnancy as I crutch to let it manifest itself outwardly.  Interesting theory, but let's not concern ourselves with the psychosis of my pregnancy.

So this morning, I slept quite late and made it to church late, attended Sunday school and headed home where Elliott pumped up the wheels on the jog stroller so that I could go for a run while he went biking.  Now, the jog stroller running has to be timed PERFECTLY.  I arrived home from church at about 11:20 AM and this is way too late to get Ivan in the jog stroller, because he might fall asleep in the jog stroller and ruin his nap.  So, I fed Ivan lunch, THEN WHILE I WAS CLEANING UP LUNCH DISASTER STRUCK.

Ivan went to "play with his trains", but this was apparently code for "I am going to go into your room and get the tub of Vic's VapoRub from beside your bed and open it and smear the entire contents on my entire body, that of my stuffed dog, all over your headboard and a bit for the wall and floors".  I went back to check on Ivan and the whole back side of our house smelled like the one time in high school when some one's tube of Bengay exploded in the cross country van.   It was so strong, it felt like I had 1000 halls in my mouth.  I had to breath through a hand towel while I cleaned.  Vic's VapoRub is surprisingly greasy and it was quite difficult to clean.  It took about 30 minutes of alternately soaking and scrubbing Ivan to get the Vic's mostly off.  I washed Ivan's dog on the water/energy wasting cycle of HOT in the washing machine, AND IT STILL REEKS OF VIC'S.

I would like for the above paragraph to be used in prophylactic literature for sexual abstinence in students, by the way, because if I were not already pregnant, it would have set me back.

After the massive cleaning, I put Ivan down for a nap and he did not wake up until it was time for me to leave for swim, so I didn't get to run.  This is a bummer, but I should be able to get to it tomorrow morning.  The observance of my child's nap schedule really cuts into my running, AND after I finish my blog tonight I am going to research what my plan should be to get ready for a marathon in 6-ish weeks.  I am going to bet that the preparation will involve me getting up before Ivan wakes up in the mornings.

I did manage to get to swim tonight.  Workout as follows:

  • out of the water pull sets (which I will try to explain at some point)
  • 400 warmup
  • 20 x 50 (25 fly kick/ 25 back kick/ 25 swim/ 25 scull)
  • 1 x 400 swim
  • 4 x 200 pull
  • 4 x 100 swim
  • 3 x 10 push-outs on side of pool (so you pull yourself out of the pool 3 sets of 10)
This was a pretty good workout, and I was in a competitive lane.  I felt like we all swam really hard.  So, now I am off to research some marathon training, and I will be hitting swim again tomorrow and hopefully a run!!

1 comment:

lillie said...

oh that was a jolly good giggle fest. i love a good late night giggle