Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tuesday: Track Workout and Some Serious Organics


So this morning, the alarm went off at 5:32 AM, I could smell the coffee (because I have learned how to work the coffee maker) and my oatmeal was ready (because I slow cook it in the crock pot overnight). BUT, let me just tell you that getting up before six AM the day after you have completed a five hour drive with a two year old in the back seat is ugly. Maybe, one of the ugliest experiences of my 34 years. It felt like Voldemort was summoning me from the depths of Mordor. Or, Frodo was asking me to find a Horcrux, or Filch was asking my to join the army of Orcs. It was terrible, is what I am telling you.

I dragged myself to track practice, listening to loud music an drinking black coffee and eating my oatmeal. By the time I got out of the car, I was pretty much awake. Bitter maybe, but awake. Our track workout was confusing, but a great workout:
  • mile warm up
  • 200 stride out/ 200 jog/ 200 stride out/ 200 jog
  • 3 x (1000 at I pace/ 400 jog/ 400 R pace/ 200 jog/ 200 F pace/ 400 jog)
  • mile cool down
So, I had to be honest with myself and acknowledge and that the last time I had really run was at the Monster Triathlon. I did not expect it to be my most spectacular day at the track, and I was not disappointed. I did a great job holding my intervals on the first two rounds, but not on the last round. The last 400 and the 200 were rather pathetic, but probably not as bad as it could have been. I am so lucky to be running with Tracy, who is phenomenal with the pacing and keeps me from starting each interval at maximum capacity and ending in a walk.

At home, I drank more coffee, headed into work, made it home in time to plot a trip to Whole Foods to do some preliminary research on organic meat and to get some quinoa. I am going to try to substitute quinoa for spaghetti noodles. NOW, during the course of my research, I was forced to eat a cookie from the bakery and some strawberries in whip cream.

What I discovered at Whole Foods was that I am going to have to pay for my healthy meat sources. It is not cheap to eat well and this could intrude on my deep deep rooted frugality, but it may be worth it. So, I going to try it. Also, 5% of everything I bought today at whole foods went straight to local farms. It was local farm day.

Back to swim tomorrow!!

No comments: