Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday: A Day Off During Which I May Have Learned Something Troubling About Myself


Now, normally, my thing is to get up on Thursday mornings and take a Pure Barre class. I take the 6:00 AM class, which is in keeping with getting me out of the bed early, and then I take the rest of the day off and fulfill my real obligations like working on my real job and meeting the needs of my child.
Anyway, this morning my Pure Bar accountability partner was out of town, and I planned to get up and go to Pure Barre on my own. BUT, I didn't go. When I finally did drag myself out of bed, it occurred to me that I lack personal discipline. Unless I have some sort of accountability group or person, I can't make myself go. It's not that I don't want to go. I just want to do it on my own time, and then sometimes I run out of time and it doesn't happen.

When I woke up early, I just thought, why don't I stay in bed and go to the 8:30AM class. Now, I could not go to the 8:30 AM class, but I didn't remember that at 5:20 AM. All I remembered was that no one was waiting for me, so I could sleep in. I have to have some immediate impetus to get out of bed. If Lauren had been waiting for me, I would have gotten up in plenty of time.

This is why you will never see me at the Olympics, on the podium, or stopping at one Cheetoh or m & m. I am not disciplined on a personal level. My life is set up for social workouts, which in turn mean accountability.

Again, this is my get out of bed accountability schedule:
  • Monday -swim
  • Tuesday - track work
  • Wednesday - swim
  • Thursday - Pure Barre
  • Friday - swim
  • Saturday - running group
  • Sunday - Swim
This is why the bike is not happening. I do not have a bike accountability group. There is no group of beginner bikers who are trying to get faster who want to ride with me at times that I can fit into my schedule of parent guilt. I think that I could do a Wednesday and Friday morning bike ride that starts at 6:00 or 6:15 AM and goes to 7:45 or 8:00 AM.

These are the only times that I have open that fit into my schedule of parent guilt. The baby should be just waking up as I am walking in the door, and he will never know I have been gone.

After learning this valuable information about myself, I plan to find a bike group or class in reasonable distance from myself. There is no reason to feel guilty about not getting in my bike rides. I just need to realize that I am not capable of the discipline required to get up before 6:00 AM and get on my bike by myself. It does not make me a bad person, it just means that if I want bike improvement, I have to set up another accountability structure.


No comments: