Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday: The Busiest Monday of My Life


Now that I have a child and my work schedule has eased up a bit, I have a bit more free time most of the time. Some days though, hit me like a ton of bricks. For instance, this morning, I woke up to a sick child, a huge workday, a squeezed in swim practice and a hair appointment and a quick parent conference.

There honestly are not enough hours in my day today and also honestly, I did not have to go to swim. Swim is not a mandatory part of my life, but I wanted to go and ultimately, my husband was home and could hustle Ivan (who was not running a fever, just had a nagging cough) off the the doctor. The doctor, of course, said it was nothing, which seems to be the case 99% of the time that we take Ivan to the doctor.

Anyway, swim workout was great:
  • 4x 100 swim
  • 4 x 50 stroke
  • 8 x 50 IM
  • 3 x 100 swim
  • 4 x 50 stroke
  • 8 x 50 IM
  • 400 pull
  • 500 kick
  • 500 swim
After swim, I hurtled to work like a madman and worked all afternoon. I had thought that I would have a break between tests, for lunch, but the first test I gave went too long for me to pop out for lunch. This meant that I positively starved through the next test.

Skipping lunch is always a mega disaster for me, because something explosively caloric happens at some point. Today, it was that I got home and at an entire package of guacamole with vegetable chips. The only, only good thing that I can say about it is, better guacamole than queso. Guacamole is at least a good fat and the vegetable chips were high in fiber.

My day was even nuttier because on top of Ivan sickness, swim, double booked assessments at work with no lunch, a mini conference, and a grocery store stop, I had a hair appointment at 8:00PM. Now, I like an evening hair appointment because I can put Ivan down at bedtime and leave without guilt that I am missing time with him in lew of my own personal level of vanity.

Hanna had to cut my hair almost an inch, because it is a bit dry. This totally bummed me out and I felt a little like Hayley Mills in The Parent Trap, when she finds out her father is indeed going to marry the vile gold digging Vicki instead of their mother, when the girls have worked so hard to reunite them. Hayley Mills character (Sharon or Susan) starts stamping around muttering about all the work, work, work. How she had to cut her hair and bite her nails and pretend to like beans and crack her gum and memorize everyone's names. "All the work". That is how I felt when my dry hair warranted more of a trim than I had planned.
I wanted to stamp around with my lists of conditioners and all the hair wettings, heat masks, special pre-swim gels. All that work deserves an extra inch of hair. I am just going to have to up the anty, and do some conditioning treatments under my swim cap. WHERE WILL IT END? With a wig, with me giving in to baldness or a crew cut that will hardly be flattering with my nose. It is not going to end in my giving up swimming. THAT IS FOR SURE.

Finally, on my drive home from my hair appointment, I cruised down Columbia Avenue and towards the Carter House, where unbeknownst to me the Franklin Historical Society was reenacting a Civil War event. SO, as I am driving towards blinding strobe lights on Columbia Avenue, I see two sides of men TAKE AIM AND FIRE AT ONE ANOTHER.

For the love of Mike, would they mind warning drivers so they do not see musket fire and smoke and immediately assume that the appocalypse is upon up. My first thought was to park my car and run with my new hi-lights and half an inch shorter hair.

When I finally got past the melee, I understood the scene to be some sort of filmed reenactment, but again, let's warn the townfolk next time.

Pic of me waiting for Ivan to swim to get me!


No comments: