Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday: It is Difficult to Maintain Your Rigorous Blogging Schedule When You are at the Lake and Internet Reception is Spotty


So, the internet reception here is quite spotty and there is a very good chance that my current entry will be shut down before I have a chance to finish. Yesterday, there was never a chance that I could sit down at such a time that the internet was working. Yesterday was the day that I accomplished the most and felt that we had settled into the lake house routine.

This makes me think that the first two days of vacation with a child are the hardest. After that you settle in and everything is easy, yet of course by the time that you settle in, it is time to leave and have an unpleasant trip home with a toddler.

Yesterday morning, I set my alarm, and got up and swam for 45 minutes in the lake. I swim from the dock to the first buoy, which takes me about 5 minutes. I swim back and forth between the dock and the buoy, and I would assume that this is about a mile and a half-ish swim. The lake water here is clear and beautiful. Lots of visibility and zero boat traffic, so it makes for a pretty safe open-water swim. I really enjoyed myself.

Back in the house, I had a cup of coffee, some fruit and I found a huge cache' of green tea in the pantry, so I was back on with my hearty heathy breakfast. Ivan got up, and I gave him a bottle, loaded him in the jog stroller headed off for what proved to be a nasty run. The roads here are just cut out of the mountains and they are all gravel fire roads. The only paved road is a two lane highway with no shoulder, and I would say that the only type of driving that I saw on this road was comparable to Nascar. So, we stuck to gravel fire roads and in 40 minutes, I had only covered 1.7 miles. It was that hilly, and pushing the jog stroller was grueling work. Pushing the stroller up some of the hills was more like a combination of walking and hopping than running.

Back at home, Ivan and I got dressed and went to pick blueberries at a farm down the street. Ivan stayed completely interested for about half a basket, at which point I took him to the general store, where he had a temper tantrum and threw a donut on the floor, before wrenching out of my king fu grip to eat it off the floor (Without using his hands, thank you very much. He just put his whole mouth on the floor and sucked the donut off). I swear, I feel that my child is deliberately trying to attract some terrible parasite to live in his body. "Worms or maybe a good case of Tetnus, that'll show Mommy to try and make me say "Thank You" to a woman who hands me a donut. I object to routine politeness."

Back at the lake house, Ivan took a nap while I worked through Pure Barre type workout video and finished my book. Now starting on Team of Rivals.

No comments: