Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday:Lake Swim


So this morning, Kennette, the greatest carpool buddy of all, picked me up to head out to the lake for my first swim out to the buoys. At the first lake swim, our coach only lets us swim triangles in the shallows so that she make sure there are no drowners. Then last weekend I was in Birmingham, so this week was the first time that I got to swim out to the buoys.

Now, in keeping with tradition, I forgot something. Yesterday it was pants, today it was my goggles. I had to borrow a pair from Dee and her goggles did not fit my head quite right and they leaked the whole time. Luckily, I swam with the greatest swim buddy, John Maple, who watched out for me and I was able to stick close to him and sight his green swim cap. I readjusted my borrowed goggles one million times. One Million. It was all very frustrating and how in the world to you drive 50 miles out to the lake at 5:45 AM in the morning and forget to check and make sure that your goggles are in your swim bag? Who does that? Me. It is par for the course for me.

Anyway, other than rampant goggle leaking, I had a great swim, and it ended up being about two miles with my warm-up and everything.

OK, so this week, our swim coach posted an article about goggles on our Excel Blog. I swim in an Aquasphere goggle mask, and you have to read the article because it has pretty much shamed me out of swimming in my beloved aquaspheres. They feed every aspect of my vanity:
  • they do not leave goggle lines around my eyes
  • they do not leave a huge indention across my nose
  • I have better visibility
  • It is like wearing a flatscreen television on my head
Apparently, however, my goggles say that I am ridiculous. I need to wear some sort of speedo goggles to be able to be taken seriously. I quote "[in aquasphere goggles] you look ridiculous and other lap swimmers laugh at you". Nice. They are the only goggles I wear. I compete in them and I train in them. Yeah, never mind, I refuse to be shamed out of wearing them.

Finally, there is supposedly a new new Garmin program that give complete accuracy on the swim. I will research the situation and let you know!!



No comments: