Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hood to Coast: 6:40 AM Flight


So, this picture is not from Hood to Coast. It is from the Tom King Half Marathon in Nashville last March. It was a good race and am pleased with the race pic. I am staying at my ride to the airport's house. This would be my parents, who should be canonized by the way, as they are taking me to the airport by 5:30 AM to make a 6:40 AM flight, and they are taking care of Ivan for four whole days and picking me up from the airport.
Pop Quiz: What would I be without my parents?
  1. Homeless
  2. Taking a cab to the airport
  3. Paying a babysitter an astronomical sum of money to care for my child
  4. Still paying off student loans
If your answer was "all of the above", then you are the lucky winner and should treat yourself to a Grab the Gold bar today.
Allan Horner, our Hood To Coast coordinator emailed us a list of things we needed to make sure we brought to Hood to Coast. It read as follows:

  1. 3 large size ziplock bags
  2. 3 sets of running clothes (shorts, shirt, socks, etc.)
  3. Running shoes- some people bring two pair?
  4. Sandals, etc for in between runs
  5. Sweats, t-shirts or running warm ups- can be pretty cool at night and early am
  6. Small or large towel for after running
  7. Flashlight/headlamp
  8. Reflective vest- these two items mandatory for running after 6pm
  9. A smaller bag to keep all above running items in during the race.
  10. Sleeping bag- van 2 (and plastic bag or sheet to lay sleeping bag on- put inside bag)
  11. Stocking cap- for sleeping at night
  12. Van 1 use towel to rest or sleep on during the day
  13. Have toothbrush, paste, deodorant, etc handy and not in packed away bag
  14. Camera
  15. Sunscreen
  16. Sunglasses
  17. Casual clothes for Sat night/Sunday
  18. Bungee cord (if you have one or two please bring just in case.)
  19. About $20 cash per person for van food
I am at my parents house and I have forgotten my stocking cap, so I might have to borrow one from my dad. Miraculously, I remembered everything else on the list. I did forget Grab the Gold bars, which is a personal disappointment. It is the first time I will have traveled without them since discovering them four years ago.

Anyway, I am running leg six, as I traded leg three with Robbie. I am hoping it is manageable, though as is typical of me, I have not taken even a moment to glance at the topography. I am applying my motto, "I'm sure I can make it" to Hood to Coast this year as every year, as in every event in which I register to compete. Leg six, now that I am looking at the link I posted about leg 6, looks miserably hilly. How unfortunate. When Wood asked me to switch with Robbie, my reply was "whatever". Serves me right. Watch for future updates!!

1 comment:

caroline G said...

Will you be updating from the road? How exciting! You are a champion.