Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Swimaholic


I swim four days a week.  I swim at the lake on Sunday mornings (1 mile out, 1 mile back),I swim twice a day on Wednesdays.  I love it, and cannot stop myself.  
I swam 3200 meters this morning, workout as follows:
Warm up: 300 swim/ 200 pull/ 200drill/ 300 swim
    6 x 50 kick on 1:05                               
    6 x 100 @ 1:45/ 1:40/ 1:50 descend
                    8 x 50 swim @ 0:50
                    4 x 50 kick @ 1:05
                    4 x 100 1:40/1:45 descend
It was actually a 4000 meter workout, but I had to stop because I ran out of time and had to get Ivan from the nursery.  

I am going back tonight for another 3200 meters.  I like to have a long day once a week.  I try to run with the jog stroller before I get in the pool.  This is great, and I am totally patting myself on the back for all my hard work, however "where is the bike?" you are asking.  The last time I was on my bike was at the Music City triathlon, and I rode, as I said, like the hounds of hell were chasing me, and that was only 16 miles per hour.  I was 11th in my age group on the bike.  The bike is not my favorite thing and it is impossible to take the baby along when I train.  We do have a bike trailer, but it is just not conducive to or safe for training rides.  
When I run, I can always take the baby, and then do a long run early on Saturday when my husband is home.  For swim, I can always take Ivan to the nursery.  Running and swimming are easy for me to train for.  These disciplines consume the least amount of triathlon time, however. So I am a competitive swimmer, a competitive runner, and a troubling misfit on the bike.  
I have options.  These are:
  • Take Todd Nordmeyer's bike classes routinely throughout the year
  • Buy the whole computrainer system and ride at home during naps and when the baby is in bed
  • Schedule with my husband a weekend time when I can get a sitter or have him watch the baby
  • find  group of people that ride slightly (SLIGHTLY) faster than me and make a concerted effort to find times to meet with them and ride.
This will take a lot of scheduling, but I need to do it.  Cycling faster would open up a lot of new activites for me and would make the bike portion of a triathlon less a death march and more a triumph.  
Until then, Hello, my name is Betsy Sloan, and I am a swimaholic.
                    

No comments: