Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lake Swim: Sunday Morning 7AM







So Sunday mornings are for Lake Swims.  It takes me approximately 40 minutes to get to swim at the Percy Priest Marina from my home in Franklin.  I meant to wake up at 10 after 6, however, I woke up at 6:25 and was late getting out the door.  This is not completely atypical.  

I reached the lake at approximately 7:15, and missed out on the warm-up lap.  I got straight into the water and was buddied up with a veteran iron-man swimmer and set out.  We have to have buddies when we swim out, so that we can watch out for potential drowners.  
  We start at the shore and head straight out to the first buoy, which our coaches made and it is really just a bunch of plastic milk jugs that Dee (assistant coach) canoes out and puts near the tree line.  You can't see them in the long lake shot picture, but anyway we swim there, check in with our swim buddies then turn a sharp right and swim the first buoy at the no wake line, then follow then follow the rest of the buoys along the no wake line, then swim back to the first no wake buoy, before heading back to the milk carton cluster of buoys, and then heading back to the shore.  At least 4000 meters this morning.
Anyway, as a general rule, in the pool, I am faster than the people that I started out with this morning.  The lake is an entirely different animal.  The water was choppy today, and my sighting ability is definitely a part of my game that needs some work.  The more experienced open water swimmers outpaced me very quickly, and I really struggled to stay on course in the choppy water and what felt like some current.  My buddy had to wait on me at each buoy.
I was exhausted when I schlepped out of the water, but made it home in time for church.  Followed a great church service with a nap and dinner at Moe's!!!!















No comments: