Friday, August 14, 2009

Book Report: Harry Potter book 6: The Reread

OK, last night I finished my Harry Potter book 6 reread. I enjoyed it maybe as much as the first time, except that I already knew the ending. I had forgotten all about the Horcruxes. I had also forgotten the fact that when Dumbledore and Harry find the all important third Horcrux, it is a decoy Horcrux, meaning that Harry will spend all of book 7 attempting to find and destroy the remaining four fragments of Voldemort's soul. Also, I had forgotten that it is book 6 where Harry and Ginny get together, though I did remember that it appears that Ron and Hermione are an item by the end of the book. Grawp made a reappearance at Dumbledore's funeral, as does Madame Maxim, whom I had missed. As per usual, I am amazed by J.K. Rowling's ability to write more maturely for her maturing audience with each book.
Also, Dumbledore has some great lines in this book!! For instance: "I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment," Dumbledore said to Uncle Vernon, "but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness."
What a great read after plodding away at John Adams for so long. If you haven't read the Harry Potters yet, you need to get started, if only so that you will not be set apart from a generation of children for whom Dumbledore has been a zeitgeist and an inspiration to read, and Harry has been an example of standing for right irregardless of adversity.

No comments: