Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday: Christmas Marathon

Oh yes friends, today was the day that I wore two Christmas outfits and Ivan wore two Christmas smocks, and we went hardcore holiday.  First on the roster was Ivan and I's attendance at a Christmas tea.  Now, this was insane of me to even attempt, but sometimes I have a terrible memory lapse of how bad the last event was and I try to take Ivan.  Today, I knew it was time to leave when I thought Ivan was standing beside me while a woman in a beautiful pair of quilted Chanel pumps was telling me about potty training her children.  Now, she had not really potty trained her children, it appeared to me that the "help" had potty trained when I heard the full story.  AND, can we just talk about how why is it that your child always does something horrible when you are standing beside a woman wearing Chanel pumps who has perfect children.

Anyway, of course, Ivan was not standing right beside me and when I found him, he was in the hostess' bathroom at the vanity mirror with her tub of moisturizer that is WAY out of my price range, just moisturizing away.  His cheeks, legs, arms and coat were well moisturized, and I, Betsy Sloan, was forced to clean up her bathroom and my child as if I were the "help" and then apologize to everyone and vacate the premises like a common vagrant.




From the tea, Ivan and I went for a visit with friends, which went reasonably well.  He did spill his bottle in the bathroom, but they were good friends, and they probably knew that was coming. After a great nap at home, Ivan and I headed in to have a picture made with Santa Claus.  While we did have the usual mall shenanigans, and yes, Ivan did manage to hop into someone else's picture with Santa Claus.  We made a reasonable picture and headed home where potty training began.

Now, I will say that when your child is asking you to put on their diaper so that they can go to the bathroom, they have some idea of how to control the emissions.  So, I felt that was a good part of Ivan's training.  During the two hours that I potty trained this afternoon, Ivan asked for his diaper repeatedly before looking at me with GREAT resentment and heading to the potty.  I, meanwhile, cheered harder than any Spartan cheerleader ever did for everything that hit the toilet bowl.  No accidents so far though.

After two hours of cheering, encouraging, checking the corners and behind all the doors to make sure that all of Ivan's potty entries had indeed gone into the potty, my nerves were rather frayed.  It had been a long day and a woman in Chanel pumps had told me that she had perfect children.  SO, I met my friend Missy out for the most fun holiday drinks of all time and when asked, I might have said, "Why yes, I will have another!!"

All day potty training tomorrow.  See you there,




No comments: