Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Weekend: A Great Run, A Lovely Christmas, and A Great Personal Triumph




Such a lovely Christmas that there was no time to blog.  So on Christmas Eve morning, I was up early to meet my running group for a seven mile Christmas run which was nice.  My pre-run fuel was a big bowl of oatmeal with protein powder and two Christie cookies, a chocolate chocolate chip and a white chocolate chip macadamia nut.  Now I know that this is not the best breakfast of all time, but it is the Christmas holiday and cookies and chocolate have become some of the major food groups for me.  We still have at least 14 Christie cookies left in the house and I am just going to have to ride this wave until it is over.  I may be able to let the oatmeal raisin cookies go, but the rest of them will be ingested, I just know it.

In a sad/tragic turn of events, my husband was griping at my son not to walk around the house while holding cookies because of the trail of crumbs and such and I realized that this was completely my fault.  If Ivan sets his cookie down for even a moment, there is a very good chance that his mother will pick it up and eat it before he knows what has happened.  It is terrible, and my lack of self-control is appalling.

Anyway, post run, Ivan and I loaded up and headed out to my parents' house for a fabulous Christmas eve of visiting with friends and neighbors.  Ivan rode his tricycle and my family played a competitive game of scrabble where my brother incorporated the work "quail" in an ingenius use of the letter "q" only to be ousted by a rule technicality.

On Christmas morning, Ivan was up and excited.  He immediately wrecked the fabulous balance bike that we got him and popped a screw, and I must now spend tomorrow in talks with the service department of zum bikes about getting a new screw.  It will all work out.

Now, the unfortunate part of Christmas is that there is too much of it, and we spent the day running to various houses.  Ivan wore three different outfits and by the time it was all over, we were thoroughly Christmased out.  I was more exhausted than after my marathon BY FAR.

Now, by the time we arrived home, I was hardcore Grinchy.  I had spread all the Christmas cheer I had in my person, and I spent the rest of the evening finishing Team of Rivals.  Now, I have been reading Team of Rivals since the summer.  I have put it down a couple of times to read other things for book club or what not, but I have been hanging in there.  Yes, I have been personally involved with the Lincolns for much too long, and I shed many tears over the last chapter even though I knew what was coming.  I cannot wait to write my book report.

I slept the sleep of the dead and hopped up this morning to so much snow, much housekeeping, and again with the cookies.  In the afternoon, I got in a Pure Barre workout and a very chilly run in a new Lululemon running ensemble that is just so chic.

Book reports and the pool is not open tomorrow.

No comments: