Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday: Swim

This morning, Ivan and I were pretty much on time to swim. We had a bit of fit throwing upon nursery entry, but overall everything went well.  At the pool, I got in 2300 meters, which is a bit disappointing to me.  I definitely spent way too much time chatting today, and I have got to stop it.  I HATE getting out of the pool at sub-3000 meters.  It makes me feel like I have wasted time, which I have.  Now, I will say that I did several finless kick sets, which is great for me to do, but incredibly slow.  So, even though the yardage was shorter, it might have benefited me more in terms of practice.  Still, 2300 meters is rather sad.

At home, Ivan and I made lunch, I performed about one million phone errands, and then after Ivan's nap, ran physical errands.  At home, Ivan and I played frisbee and made dinner.  It was a nice afternoon.

Now, after Ivan went to bed, I headed out to Whole Foods for what are quickly becoming the most expensive and time consuming cookies ever made.  During my confinement, I have had all sorts of food issues, and have had to be careful about dairy and gluten and food dyes and honestly, I am so bored even recounting it to you.  SO BORED.

Anyway, this weekend, I was a reading a really boring blog called The Gluten Free Goddess, and it is all about foods that you make to substitute for real foods as it appears that I am never going to get to eat another cookie in my life.  I found a recipe for the best, chewiest chocolate chip cookies ever.  They are dairy and gluten free, and I have been salivating for them.  I was determined to make them even if I had to mail order tapioca flour.  The ingredients were things I did not know existed, like sorghum flour and again, I am bored even tell you this.

So, I put in an initial ingredient search at the local Publix, where I found half of the ingredients.  Then I searched Whole Foods for the rest of the ingredients and I am going to have to substitute coconut flour for tapioca flour, but whatever.  Surely it will still work out.  I thought the cookies would be made on Sunday, but ingredient acquisition has honestly taken up my whole weekend and Monday night.  Also, regular all-purpose flour like the good people at tollhouse recommend is cheap, friends.

When you start buying Xantham Gum, things get really pricey, really fast.  However, I have four weeks left of my confinement, I do want some cookies, and everyone is going to have to get over it and let me throw myself into baking on a bizarre level.

Also, I had these amazing gluten free cookies while I was in Montana, and they were honestly better than anything I have ever had, I felt fine after eating them, and there you are.  I clearly need these cookies.  Alas, now that I finally have all the ingredients, it is too late to do anything, but tell you all about it, go to bed and get to this cookie business tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this gluten-y thing is making me nervous... didn't know you had issues with it. signed: Gluten Lovers Anonymous