Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday: Swim

In a bizarre twist of Nashville weather, the temperature today is about 65 and it is pouring rain.  I usually think of this happening around November, when Nashville gets cold like Europe in the Spring.  It was quite cold and I actually turned on THE HEAT in the car. Insanity.  Also, I am not prepared wardrobe-wise for such a drastic change in the weather, and when you are in your confinement (as I am) it is doubly difficult to figure out what to wear in times of transitional weather.

Anyway, last night my plan was to swim at the Maryland Farms YMCA at 8:00 this morning, but as scheduling would have it, my husband had a Labor Day work breakfast which overlapped my time to swim so I moved to down to 9:30.  By 9:30 the temperature had dropped even further and the wind had kicked up.

It is on days like this that I realize that I have a freak flag, that I fly with reckless abandon.  My freak flag exposed itself today, by refusing to be daunted by the weather and climbing gamely into the outdoor pool in a bikini in the latter stages of my confinement.  The lifeguards were dressed in sweatsuits and openly disdainful of my ridiculousness.   The water was cold but not icy and as long as I kept my head underwater, it was a great swim.  When I wanted to kick, I had to head into the indoor pool, because it was far too cold to have my head above water and my arms clutching a kick board.

The indoor pool at the Maryland Farms YMCA is a bit swampy and dank, but still, I sort of love it.  I had a great swim and while outside, I swam by 500's.  Then, my friend Jamie and I went inside and kicked 1000 meters.

At home, I made oatmeal bakes and needlepointed and made the most of a desolate Labor Day Holiday, where there was nothing fun to do outdoors.

First day of nursery school tomorrow!!

No comments: