Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday: Lake Swim

I feel like today heralds my return to the real world after all of Ivan's sickness and staying with my parents and our return trip to the doctor and everything else that seems to have drained my soul over the last week. This morning, I was up before my alarm went off, I drank my "glowing green smoothie", ate some oatmeal bake and headed out to the lake, where I swam out to the buoy and back, somewhere close to two miles.  I am ridiculously slow and my swim cap kept slipping off my head, but it was a nice swim.

Now, the unfortunate thing that I noticed while I was swimming was that I was itching something fierce.  All in my bathing suit and up my arms.  It is lake water, and when I took off my bathing suit to take my public lake bathroom shower, I noticed that my entire suit lining was covered in tiny tiny white gnat looking bugs, and there were red streaks all over my body.  It is apparently water lice season, and I had been infested.  It was most unfortunate, and it was by far the scrubbiest shower that I have ever taken.  All day since, I have been a little itchy in sort of the same way you are itchy when you hear that someone got lice at camp or think that your pet might have fleas.

Also at the Lake, someone whom I have officially cataloged as a bottom dweller, asked if I was already past my due date.  And you know, the thing is, I am seven weeks out from my due date.  AND, if I were past my due date, I just would not be swimming a mile out away from shore.  If my water broke, I would have no choice but to swim back to the shore in full on labor, and that would be ridiculous.  It is still appropriate for me to be swimming, water lice or no, in the lake for a few more weeks.

At home, I had a cup of coffee and a glass of tea, before shuffling Ivan and I off to church.  We had a great lesson and got home for naps and such.  Tomorrow is Labor Day and I am forgoing our running group's Labor Day run, as I am really too rotund to keep up.

Swimming at the uber fabulous Maryland Farms YMCA tomorrow morning.  Very exciting!!

No comments: